Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: AOL Terms and Conditions -- Revealed!

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 14:49:31 -0400

Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 08:49:57 -0700
From: Rodney Joffe <rjoffe () centergate com>
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>, declan () well com
Subject: [Fwd: AOL Terms and Conditions -- Revealed!]

Hello Dave, and Declan,

Alan Clegg, the "vitim", gave me permission to forward his email to you
two....

This was posted to the public NANOG list yesterday evening. It provides
an interesting insight into the way that AOL has evolved, and is
evolving. Roughly speaking, AOL is setting rules for accepting and
delivering email to subscribers, under the apparent guise of attempting
to control spam.

make sure that only legitimate subscriptions can be accepted. The system
has no history of spamming or abuse at all.

What is interesting here to me, is that were I an AOL subscriber (I am
not), paying my normal subscription fee, I would still not be able to
receive mail that I specifically wanted, requested, and authorised.
Which really does lead one to believe that this could be seen as pretty
real censorship.

Of course, AOL has the right to do this, because AOL is not classified
as a common carrier, and owns the network it runs. But it also
apparently owns its users' mailboxes ;-).

H'mmmmm.

--
Rodney Joffe
CenterGate Research Group, LLC.