Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: "a secret, open and transparent, telephone board meeting." : Good Morning Silicon Valley Mon Apr 02 12:00:29 EDT 2001

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 19:16:14 -0400

ICANN approves VeriSign deal in secret, open and transparent, board
meeting: After implementing a number of
<http://www.icann.org/nsi/proposed-com-agreement-tech-corrections-31mar01.htm>11th
hour changes to a proposed deal that would give domain registrar behemoth
VeriSign
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/opinion/gmsv/archive01/morn03152001.htm>near
monopoly control over the valuable .com registry, the Internet Corporation
for Assigned Names and Numbers
<http://www.icann.org/minutes/prelim-report-02apr01.htm>approved that deal
in what ICANN Watch describes as
<http://www.icannwatch.com/article.php?sid=79&mode=thread&order=0>"a
secret, open and transparent, telephone board meeting." [ see url at end
of this message djf] This in spite of <http://forum.icann.org/nsi2001/>the
vast public outcry against it. On Friday some members of Congress
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/tech/080674.htm>asked the Commerce
Department to review the "deal." In a letter to Commerce Secretary Donald
Evans, the heads of the House Commerce Committee and the Commerce
Committee's Telecommunications and Internet Subcommittee urged the
Commerce Department to invoke its power to review the controversial
arrangement. "Without taking a position on the propriety of the revised
agreement, we want to ensure that any actions by ICANN support and
encourage strong, vibrant competition,"
<http://www.icannwatch.com/article.php?sid=72&mode=thread&order=0>the
lawmakers wrote. "Accordingly, we respectfully request that the Department
fully analyze the competitive issues that arise as a result of this
agreement. Further, as Mr. Cerf, Chairman of ICANN, said during our
February hearing, ICANN is a consensus development body which requires
that major decisions affecting the future of the Internet be done in an
open and transparent manner. Therefore, we urge you to exercise your
oversight authority to ensure that ICANN's final decision in this matter
is made and implemented in a transparent fashion."

http://www.icann.org/minutes/prelim-report-02apr01.htm

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/