Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: I find this outrageous!!

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 11:34:58 -0400

Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 11:16:52 -0400
From: Ray McFarland <rimcfar () lts ncsc mil>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Re: IP: I find this outrageous!!

Dave,

Re: "Maybe if some senators get arrested we will get this fixed or would
they get away with it"

If you weren't aware, members of both houses of Congress are immune from
arrest or prosecution when in the performance of their elected duties.

Thus, I think in the 80s, a Representative caused an accident while
driving drunk in a Md county, and caused injuries. The person could not
be cited nor arrested because the claim was he was returning home from a
Congressional function, and thus covered by Congressional immunity!!! So
don't hold your breath on them getting arrested.

If you weren't aware, Congress exempts themselves from a lot of laws
that normal citizens, and in the Federal workplace, Federal workers
(Members of Congress are also Federal employees) must follow. Example,
none of the protections of even Federal workers, to my knowledge,
applies to any Congressional staffer (would impinge on the rights of
their managers - the Members of Congress).

Ray

Dave Farber wrote:

 I find this outrageous and think our congress should get off their rear
 ends and change the law or have we become a police state where police will
 stop and throw you in jail and then you fight it. Maybe if some senators
 get arrested we will get this fixed or would they get away with it.djf

 April 24, 2001

 Court Allows Arrest for Minor Violations

 By DAVID STOUT

 WASHINGTON, April 24 — In a decision that could affect drivers and police
 agencies across the country, the Supreme Court ruled today that the police
 can handcuff and arrest people even for minor offenses, like failure to use
 seat belts, which are normally punished by fines.
 I find this outrageous
 The Court ruled, 5 to 4, against a Texas woman who was arrested, handcuffed
 and taken to jail because she and her two small children were not buckled
 up in their pickup truck. The justices rejected her claim that her Fourth
 Amendment rights against unreasonable searches and seizures had
been violated.

 <snip>

 http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/24/national/24CND-SCOTUS.html

 For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/