Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: I find this outrageous!!

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 17:47:14 -0400

I find this outrageous and think our congress should get off their rear
ends and change the law or have we become a police state where police will
stop and throw you in jail and then you fight it. Maybe if some senators
get arrested we will get this fixed or would they get away with it.djf

April 24, 2001

Court Allows Arrest for Minor Violations

By DAVID STOUT

WASHINGTON, April 24 — In a decision that could affect drivers and police
agencies across the country, the Supreme Court ruled today that the police
can handcuff and arrest people even for minor offenses, like failure to use
seat belts, which are normally punished by fines.
I find this outrageous
The Court ruled, 5 to 4, against a Texas woman who was arrested, handcuffed
and taken to jail because she and her two small children were not buckled
up in their pickup truck. The justices rejected her claim that her Fourth
Amendment rights against unreasonable searches and seizures had been violated.

<snip>

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/24/national/24CND-SCOTUS.html

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/