Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: U.K. email spy law costly and undemocratic, opponents say

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 15:38:40 -0400

Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 08:40:24 -0400
From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
To: politech () politechbot com

Email spy law 'costly and undemocratic'
http://www.guardianunlimited.co.uk/politics/story/0,3604,370632,00.html

Civil liberties

Net news
Special report: Liberal Democrat party conference 2000

Sarah Hall
Wednesday September 20, 2000

Controversial new laws allowing the government to "spy" on emails were not
only a severe threat to human rights and civil liberties but would undermine
Britain's hopes of being a leading centre for e-commerce, the Liberal
Democrats heard yesterday.

The estimated cost of implementing email monitoring equipment would be £640m
over the next five years, while the overall cost to the economy would be
around £50bn, according to the CBI, said the Trade and Industry spokesman
Vincent Cable.

Dr Cable said: "This is a civil liberties issue, but we can't disregard the
fact that this will impose an enormous regulatory burden on what should be
one of our high growth economic sectors, and it's unnecessary and damaging.

"I'd shy away from calling it a stealth tax, because that's what Mr Hague
would call it, but it's an attempt to impose the cost of regulation on
industry. If the government wants industry to be spies, it should pay for
it."

[...]