Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: CENSORED STUDENTS POST THEIR EXPOSES ONLINE: Edupage, September 20 2000

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 13:46:16 -0400

Funny how we teach our kids about freedom and the bill of rights djf

High-school students frustrated by the editorial policies of
their schools' newspapers are publishing their pieces of
suppressed or "alternative" journalism on the Internet.  Students
now publish more than 10,000 underground high-school newspapers
on the Internet, according to the Student Press Law Center.  In
many cases, these papers print stories that high school papers
would not run.  Some tend toward gossip or ranting, while others
are little more than an excuse to mock educators and fellow
students. Educators worry that even "serious" underground student
newspapers could be damaging because the students publishing them
have no one to advise them on the basics of journalism, including
libel issues. In one case, a Milford, Utah, high school suspended
a student after it deemed his Web page a threat to students and
teachers. Criminal charges against that student were dropped,
however, and courts have generally ruled in favor of a student's
right to free speech outside of a classroom.
(Washington Post, September 19 2000)