Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: disturbing reference to overtime for high-tech workers in NY Times

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 19:13:56 -0400

Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 16:13:14 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Larry Tesler <larry () nomodes com>

Despite one sentence in the column to the contrary, it is not true that
only managers are exempt from overtime laws. Jobs based on hourly work and
pay tend to be subject to overtime laws. Salaried "white-collar" positions
based on contribution that do not correlate with clock hours tend to be
exempt. To minimize ambiguity, the law specifies what jobs are exempt and
non-exempt. For example, an executive secretary is an exempt position. So
is a software engineering position generally filled by a person with a
specialized degree.

The new proposal seems to be motivated by the advent of new jobs that did
not exist when the classifications were last updated (except for "funeral
directors", most of whom, I suspect, used to be self-employed but are now
often employed by corporations).

Although it is true that employers who wish to avoid overtime will
instigate such reclassifications, it is, in my experience, just as often
employees who want to be viewed as salaried professionals (with flexible
schedules) who seek to be classified as exempt. Of course, professional
employees expect their weekly salary as an exempt to materially exceed 40
times their former hourly wage.

The main issue raised by the NY Times column is that of overworked
employees, forced to work more than they want, even past the point of
fatigue, especially in jobs that can endanger their health or their lives
or the lives of others. This is a serious issue. As the column points out,
the situation arises both because employers demand the extra hours and
because many employees welcome the extra pay, often at time-and-a-half or
double-time rates.

The "bonus in lieu of salary proposal" seems odd. I believe it is legal
now to do it, as long as the wage rate does not drop below the minimum.
Any company that tried it today would probably lose unmotivated workers
and attract overachievers. But the company might also attract lawsuits
from workers who feel that their pay has been cut without cause. That is
probably what the proposed legislation is designed to protect employers
against in this sue-happy country. It is part of the trend these past few
decades towards a more flexible labor force that has been a significant
contributor to the prosperity and low unemployment that the economy has
recently enjoyed.

Larry Tesler