Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: A public challenge - a treasure hunt of sorts...

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 14:49:08 -0400

\closer to the area.

Jim H.
 -----Original Message-----
From:         Talal Shamoon

Friends,

As some of you know, I've been involved in the Secure Digital Music
Initiative or SDMI.  The SDMI group tasked with selecting "perimeter
technologies" for the SDMI has asked bidders proposing technologies to
submit themselves to a public challenge.  Details are attached.  Proposed
technologies include several "commercial grade" watermarking schemes and
two "out of band" techniques for providing control for the screening of
unprotected music as it is transferred to SDMI compliant portable devices.

The public challenge would make an excellent senior/masters lab project
for signal processing or CS students.  There's a $10K prize to boot.

I would appreciate it if you could review the attached and pass it along
to those you might think interested...
Needless to say, it's an excellent opportunity for smart students entering
the job market to show off their skills to the top technology and content
companies in the media and consumer electronics space.

BTW, we will also be retaining "experts" to perform analytic tests on the
proposed technologies. If you or someone you know may be interested in
participating, please let me know.

Best,

Talal

 <<public test - letter.doc>>