Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re:panic in educators -- Computers Can Harm Young Children, U.S.Group Says

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 19:36:58 -0400

Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 19:27:31 -0400
From: Dan Steinberg <dstein () travel-net com>

gimme a break! my kids were using computes as soon as they could hold a mouse,
switched from win3 to win95 without noticing (or if they noticed sure didnt
come ask me for help).  and if they were in a school that gave out marks to
elementary students they would have top ones. not to mention the fact that
they
are well-adjusted and play in groups of kids that are older than they are.

This is a disguised plea for money, short-term robbing pentium to pay
paul. The
child that doesnt have the required skills will have difficulty competing, no
matter how well developed they are. These people should be ashamed of
themselves for cutting our childrens throats in advance. The next step the
math
teachers will be complaining that learning history prevents a good grasp
of set
theory (cause history never really fits venn diagrams well, but I digresss) so
we should cut all this funding for history cause theres not enough money for
maths, then....

Oh, and I would love to see the peer review on the 'studies' they did to
support these conclusions.......

sorry for ranting but this kind of short-sightedness at the expense of
children
boils my blood. why dont they simply go for more money where its required, and
drag up the appropriate witnesses, experts, etc. for that? At least they would
have no trouble justifying their conclusions.

--
Dan Steinberg

SYNTHESIS:Law & Technology
35, du Ravin  phone: (613) 794-5356
Chelsea, Quebec  fax:   (819) 827-4398
J9B 1N1                 e-mail:synthesis () vrx net