Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Amazon informing customers that the information they give is considered a company asset that can be sold

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 10:30:50 -0400

Amazon.com -- apparently forgetting for the moment that it's currently on
the receiving end of several privacy-related class-action lawsuits --
yesterday posted a revised privacy policy informing customers that the
information they give is considered a company asset that can be sold. "As
we continue to develop our business, we might sell or buy stores or assets.
In such transactions, customer information generally is one of the
transferred business assets," the company said. The company also said that
"in the unlikely event that Amazon.com Inc., or substantially all of its
assets are acquired, customer information will of course be one of the
transferred assets." Amazon claims the maneuver was engineered to build
trust among its customers... (New York Times story; free subscription
required)

http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/00/09/biztech/articles/01amazon-privacy.html