Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Researchers Crack Digital Music Challenge

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 15:03:10 -0400

From: "Rob Raisch" <info () raisch com>
To: "Dave Farber" <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: IP: Researchers Crack Digital Music Challenge

(Once we take information out of the physical containers we have
historically relied upon for protection, all bets are off.  /rr)

RESEARCHERS CRACK DIGITAL MUSIC CHALLENGE
Researchers at Xerox PARC, Princeton, and Rice University say
they have conquered the digital watermarks created by the Secure
Digital Music Initiative (SDMI) to curb online music piracy.
SDMI challenged hackers and researchers to try to crack the code
in September, offering a reward to anyone who explained how they
defeated the technology. The researchers say they removed the
watermark without damaging sound quality and estimate that any
moderately skilled hacker could do the same. SDMI says it is
still looking into the researchers' efforts to ensure that they
were successful. Still, the researchers' apparent success casts
doubt on the music industry's ability to use technology to
protect copyrights on the Internet.
(NewsFactor Network, 24 October 2000)

--
Rob Raisch - www.raisch.com