Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Promise And Peril By Ray Kurzweil

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 07:26:39 -0400

Promise And Peril

By Ray Kurzweil Special To Interactive Week, By Ray Kurzweil Special To Interactive Week, Inter@ctive Week
October 22, 2000 6:57 PM ET

Bill Joy, cofounder of Sun Microsystems and principal developer of the Java
programming language, has recently taken up a personal mission to warn us
of the impending dangers from the emergence of self-replicating
technologies in the fields of genetics, nanotechnology and robotics, which
he aggregates under the label "GNR." Although his warnings are not entirely
new, they have attracted considerable attention because of Joy's
credibility as one of our leading technologists. It reminds me of the
attention that George Soros, the currency arbitrager and arch capitalist,
received when he made vaguely critical comments about the excesses of
unrestrained capitalism.

http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories/news/0,4164,2643123,00.html