Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Conservative groups oppose mandatory library filtering

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 16:28:35 -0400

Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 09:08:17 -0400
To: politech () politechbot com
From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>

[If I have been slow to reply to email, I apologize. I have been in the
Laurentians, a chain of mountains an hour north of Montreal, since
Thursday at an economics conference. --Declan]

http://www.cluebot.com/article.pl?sid=00/10/15/1320206&mode=nested

   Conservative Groups Oppose Library Filtering
   posted by cicero on Sunday October 15, @08:13AM
   from the it-can-happen-to-us-too dept.

   A small selection of conservative groups has written to Congress
   to oppose Internet filtering legislation. They're taking an
   it-can-happen-to-us approach: "Filtering is not exclusive to
   pornographic content; it can also be used to target First Amendment
   protected speech... CyberPatrol, the largest filtering software
   manufacturer, ruled that the American Family Association's web site
   would be subject to filtering by their software program because of
   their long-standing opposition to homosexual activism." The sensible
   organizations signing last week's letter include the Free Congress
   Foundation, Americans for Tax Reform, and some state groups. Note who
   isn't there: Dogmatic national groups such as Focus on the Family, the
   Family Research Council, and the American Family Association, who have
   substantially different ideas. The proposal in Congress, which would
   force such software on public libraries and schools that receive
   federal funds, has been glued on to a must-pass spending bill. See the
   letter below.

The letter from the groups:
http://www.cluebot.com/article.pl?sid=00/10/15/1320206&mode=nested