Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Microsoft (surrebuttal for some complaints)

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 17:47:20 -0400

Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 21:15:37 -0700
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
From: "Robert M. McClure" <rmm () unidot com>
Subject: Microsoft (surrebuttal for some complaints)

More for the good IP'ers.

Quite a number of comments have been sent in response to my paper on
Microsoft.  Some of them were very well reasoned and some others were
from people who didn't seem to actually read what I wrote.  Without
attribution I will provide a little additional commentary on some of
the points.  (Supportive posts have been ignored as redundant.)

Let's, whether we agree with the pro or anti-Microsoft's position, be
somewhat fair when we consider Microsoft's rise to success. Microsoft has
been the business success story of the last 50 years and, while one may
deride the technical innovation of the firm, no one can take away from its
ability to capitalize on a business opportunity and to be constantly on
the right side of business decisions requires real "VISION" -- a quality
often missing in other business or political leaders.

No one is arguing with this.  In fact, I made the point that Microsoft's
most significant innovation was in the arena of business policy.

1. Gates and Allen formed a company to develop software for a machine that
had just been developed by a company that could not meet the demand for a
few hundred. Gates dropped out of Harvard (in what had to appear a really
dumb move to his friends and family) and, according to he and Allen,
talked of having "a computer in every home and office running Microsoft
software" -- at that time, there were about 20 of these computers and
there was no Microsoft software.

Microsoft Basic was a significant software engineering job.  Squeezing a
useable language, which had been developed at Dartmouth and which enjoyed
widespread usage, into the tiny machine was indeed a tough job, but did
not require invention.

2. Digital Research could not cut a deal with IBM to make the CP/M
operating system the IBM standard (the only seemingly viable choice since
the other industry stand was Apple DOS, a proprietary Apple
product). Microsoft was there -- to license OS86 from Seattle Products and
then to buy the company.

Licensing an operating system from one firm and then licensing it to another
was a good business move, but not innovative in the technological sense.

3. IBM chose not to demand an exclusive licence or an outright sale. This
was the beginning of its demise as the "setter of standards" and Microsoft
was there as Compaq, Tandy, HP, AST, etc. produced the early clones and
MS-DOS (really Microsoft) became the standard.

Bad mistake by IBM.  But Microsoft does not deserve kudos for this one.

4. Lotus and WordPerfect did not choose to develop quality applications
for the Macintosh; Microsoft did, thus positioning itself for the eventual
success of Windows.

Lotus and WordPerfect did not, but others did.  It should be noted, though,
that Microsoft's products for the Mac never have achieved the penetration
for the Macintosh that they achieved for Windows.  What they have obtained
has largely been subsequent to the success of Windows.

5. Visicorp put its eggs in the Graphical User Environment basket -- a GUI
that was not part of the Operating System -- Gates said from Day 1 that it
belonged in the Operating System.

To what does "it" in the previous paragraph refer?  When Visicalc was first
introduced (on the Apple II) there was no GUI on the Apple.  *Apple* saw
from the very first that a good user interface was essential, long before
Gates ever thought about Windows.

6. Lotus and WordPerfect put all their eggs in the OS/2 basket and did not
develop quality Windows products (if ever) until it was too late and the
game was over.

Another (possibly) bad business decision, not a bad technical decision.
Almost all unbiased observers believed that OS/2 was a better Windows than
Windows.  It was more stable, more efficient, etc.

So, if it were not for error, Digital Research, Visicorp. Lotus, and
WordPerfect would be the leading software firms --= instead they are out
of business (or owned by someone else) -- and IBM would control the
hardware world.

This needs to be shown.  Simply claiming it does not make it true.  In fact,
that so many firms have not been able to compete helps make the case that
Microsoft disadvantaged the competition and thereby harmed consumers. (I
don't believe that, but it is just as good an argument as that all of these
august firms fell on their own saber.)

It seems to me that Microsoft deservers credit for capitalizing on
opportunity rather than derision for lack of innovation

I give them full credit for capitalizing on the business opportunity, but
still deride them for lack of innovation.

Another writer sent the following:

I read through Bob's text. I had a bit of a problem with:
"Windows was basically copied from the Apple operating system
(which itself was copied from Xerox). The first two versions of
Windows were disasters. Only when MS reached version 3 did they
succeed in producing a system that was workable."

"Word was derivative of numerous word processing systems (Word
Perfect, Word Star, Borland, etc) then on the market. Excel was
similarly derivative of already available spreadsheets (Lotus 123,
etc).  It was widely believed in the industry that Microsoft used
secret hooks into their operating system that were not published
for use by other application software houses.

Everything else was easily justified but this stuff represents
unsupported opinion.  In the para about windows he says Microsoft
copied Apple but took 3 versions before they made something useful.
if it was a copy why wasnt it workable first time out.
Does not really compute.

The primary reason for this was Gates' stubborn inssistence that
"tiling" of windows was the only way to go, in spite of the view
of most observers that overlapped windows were preferable.

On the matter of opinion, I agree that what I said was my opinion.
It was stated as opinion.  Supporting evidence was introduced abundantly
before Judge Jackson.  Those were the facts.  We are all entitled to
our own opinions, but not our own facts.

And I would disagree that word was a derivative of wordperfect. It was
soooooooooo different from wp people had trouble doing training. it was
simply too user friendly for the secretaries that had mastered the arcana
of alt-this and shift-that.

The statement was "Word was derivative of *numerous* word processing
systems..."  WordPerfect, as was true of most early word processing
software, was not graphically oriented.  Neither were any of the other
major word processing programs of the day.  Nevertheless, they had
substantially all of the features of early day Word.  I am not trying
to imply that Word was not a good, or even excellent, engineering job,
only that it was not innovative.

Yet another reply:

1: Price
A monopoly provider would sell at a much higher price than $50 to maximize
revenue.

Even a monopoly finds that there is a limit to pricing.  Too high a price
both discourages consumption and provides a price umbrella in invite
competition.  I do not know how the price was originally determined.  I
just observed that it had not changed significantly while the underlying
hardware did.

A rational business cannot sustain selling at or even near marginal cost,
particularly for a product with such large development costs.
Microsoft priced to sell, not to gouge.

Correct.  However, it was noted that the marginal cost was nearly zero.
A reading of Microsoft's financial statements indicates that profits
were higher than normal.

2: Innovation
Word, Excel, Access, Windows, IE - love them or hate them, they are all
significantly better than their competition - that is why they sell so
well. Microsoft may not get it right the first time (Remember the first
version of Excel - on the Mac - so buggy that you were lucky to type a
paragraph between crashes)
Cisco also buys innovation - as does Intel (have you seen their investment
portfolio?) and any other rational player in this fickle market.

Every single item of software mentioned in the previous paragraph was
developed following established software.  I was not trying to make the
case that Microsoft did not have good programmers (they do) but rather
that innovations originated elsewhere.  This statement remains unrebutted.

Nor was I trying to make the case that other companies do not buy innovation
or even steal it, but rather that Microsoft has an underserved reputation
for innovation.

3: Irresponsible Behavior
If the products were so buggy and wasted productivity - then why did
*everybody* buy them? Because like it or not, they were each rated better
than their competition by the only judge that matters - the market

First, *everybody* does not buy them.  Nor can it be argued that market
success goes only to the better product.  There are entirely too many
counter-examples that I am prepared to recite.  If the "market" had
perfect information the picture might change, but it does not.

Lets not forget those tens of billions of dollars toward global causes that
Bill has donated.

I also did not claim that Bill Gates was not a good citizen and had not
donated to worthy causes.  I was merely supporting the case that the
government had not persecuted Microsoft unjustly.

        In short, given the volumes of software shipped with personal
computers, if there were true competition, the price would more likely
be one-quarter to one-third of the current price.

Obviously Robert is not a business person.

Wrong.

Price is not set by marginal cost of production, which he admitted is near
$0 for software.  The price to charge is what people are willing to pay.

Absolutely correct, but willingness to pay does not mean that no gouging
is occurring.  To wit: OPEC.  Note previous comment above on price limits
for monopolies.  (Even OPEC has a limit: the cost of converting coal and
shale to fuel.)

Microsoft does not have an obligation to charge a low price for their
software, and who is he to say that 1/3 to one 1/2 is a reasonable price.
What about the cost of a Siebel seat or an Oracle license?  Maybe they
should be charged for gouging the customer too?

I agree that they do not have an obligation to charge a low price, but under
the rules of the game as written by the Congress and signed by the President
they do have certain obligations.  They are not permitted to discrinate
between equivalent buyers, they are not permitted to bundle (in certain
circumstances), and they are not permitted to cross-subsidize.  Dragging
in Siebel and Oracle is a canard since neither have the market share needed
to be a monopolist.

They are not because their customers to an analysis and determine that
$2000
is a fair price for their software.  I suggest that if he doesn't like
paying Microsoft prices, he pay Linux prices for something else.

That is equivalent to arguing that if you do not like the price of gas
you should buy an electric car.

This kind of flawed logic about what is in the public good is not a service
to the community.  The real interest of the consumer is free markets with
market prices.  If the economics of the computer industry is to
gravitate to
monopolies until the next Microsoft comes along, then that is probably
better than having centrally planned software prices.

Again I see a failure to read my original article.  I stated quite clearly
that the entire issue of antitrust legislation is a completely separate
issue, and that I tend to favor doing away with all of it.  However,
since these laws *are* on the books, I think they should be enforced.
Having laws that are not enforced is an invitation to disrespect for the
law as a whole.  I hope this writer is not suggessting that.  If someone
would like to mount a campaign to have the issue reconsidered in Cogress,
please let me know.