Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Intuit & Privacy

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 06:36:09 -0400

From: "John A. Simkiss III" <jas3 () netreach net>
To: "Farber, Dave" <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Intuit & Privacy
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2000 23:10:40 -0400

Hi Dave:

Saw the following while looking for some (yawn) accounting software
research.  Thought you might forward it to some of the privacy types on
the IP list.  Looks like Intuit is sending packets back to HQ w/o letting
their customers know.  The likely use is to detect pirated copies...?

jas3

----------

<<
<http://x53.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=674433342&CONTEXT=970455431.1499660295&hitnum=42>previous
in
search  ยท
<http://x53.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=672830327&CONTEXT=970455431.1499660295&hitnum=44>next
in search >>

qbdagent.exe is the module which call home to perform "automatic
registration and updates". If you are connected to the internet when you
start up QB it will automatically call home without asking your
permission. A firewall such as Zone Alarm will intercept this
communication and give you the option of refusing the connection. Looks
like a way to detect multiple installs from the same CD.

Cheers, Mort

In article <_CSw5.264898$1h3.5415292 () news20 bellglobal com>,