Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: ICANN announces 10 new top level domain name finalists

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 19:43:02 -0500

Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 18:00:09 -0500
To: politech () politechbot com
From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>

[Wow. I think I started writing about this process back in 1996, and we're
finally seeing it come close to a (temporary) end. Now let's see if the
Clinton administration agrees to add 'em. :) --Declan]

   ICANN: The Winners Are ...
   by Oscar S. Cisneros

   2:00 p.m. Nov. 16, 2000 PST
   MARINA DEL REY, California -- The number of new top level domains that
   will be used on the World Wide Web was narrowed from 44 to 10 on
   Thursday.

   Among those still in the race to join dot-com, dot-org and dot-net are
   dot-biz, dot-i, dot-museum and dot-info.

   The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, the
   Internet's managing authority, took the next step in what has been a
   years-long process to create new name spaces in the Domain Name System
   by picking the following 10 finalists and the names of the groups
   sponsoring the applications at its board meeting Thursday afternoon:

     * Dot-info by Afilias, LLC
     * Dot-biz by JVTeam, LLC, which is comprised of Neustar and Melbourn
       IT
     * Dot-i Sarnoff Corporation and JVTeam, LLC
     * Dot-name, dot-nom, dot-san, dot-xing by the Global Name Registry,
       Limited
     * Dot-pro by RegistryPro, Ltd, which is comprised of register.com,
       Virtual Internet and Baltimore Tech.
     * Dot-co-op by the Cooperative League of the USA
     * Dot-museum
     * Dot-Air by the Société Internationale de Télécommunications
       Aéronautiques
     * Dot-geo by SRI International
     * Dot-coop by Cooperative League of the USA.

[...]