Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Who Wants to Be a Monopoly? Beware the media moguls who hog both medium and message.

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 10:03:33 -0400

http://www.nytimes.com/library/magazine/home/20000528mag-wordimage.html

WORD & IMAGE BY MAX FRANKEL
Who Wants to Be a Monopoly?
Beware the media moguls who hog both medium and message.

Until a few weeks ago, I expected to live out my life without adopting a
firm theory of monopoly. The subject, confounded by the obfuscation of
economists and lawyers, always struck me as impossibly difficult. Fair
competition in capitalism seemed to be like the strike zone in baseball --
a matter of considerable discretion and best left to the regulation of
umpires.

I even thought that some monopolies