Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE: G-8 OFFICIALS CONSIDER TREATY FOR CYBERCRIME LAWS

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 16:27:17 -0400

I will let the readers determine whether the actions of many have been
trying to undermine  the BofR.

Dave

From: "Baker, Stewart" <SBaker () steptoe com>
To: "'farber () cis upenn edu'" <farber () cis upenn edu>
cc: "Albertazzie, Sally" <SAlbertazzie () steptoe com>

[ I wonder if the law they say " U.S.  law enforcement groups are also
hamstrung by laws that allow  cybercriminals to escape detection and
capture." is also called the Bill of Rights djf]

That's not fair, Dave.  I don't know any Justice officials who would
criticize the Bill of Rights as hamstringing law enforcement.  More likely
this is a reference to the lack of procedures for a nationwide "trap and
trace" order that would allow the government to track hackers from one US
host to another without having to get a separate order in a local court for
each host.  It's fair to ask questions about this Justice proposal, but I
haven't heard anyone argue that it violates the Bill of Rights.