Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: California privacy legislation

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 12:13:02 -0500

From: "Gillmor, Dan" <DGillmor () sjmercury com>
To: "'David Farber '" <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: California privacy legislation
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 07:14:16 -0800

http://www.mercurycenter.com/svtech/columns/gillmor/docs/dg032800.htm

NOT too long ago, someone I know well suffered that most modern of crimes,
identity theft. A crook got hold of useful information -- including her
Social Security number -- and used it to create a fraudulent identity.

The victim discovered the fraud when bills started coming in for things she
hadn't bought. Then ``I got letters from lawyers saying they were suing me
because I hadn't paid,'' she says. The onus was on her to make things right
with credit bureaus, financial institutions and the like -- and the
paperwork was massive.

This kind of outrage is all too common. American businesses are all too
casual with our Social Security numbers and other information. Greasing the
wheels of commerce has been far, far more important than protecting people's
privacy. Law enforcement, meanwhile, believes it has better things to do
than investigate, much less prosecute, such crimes.

But you can almost feel privacy gaining strength as a public issue. The
Internet Age has opened people's eyes, because people are beginning to see
the consequences when all kinds of data ends up in databases that are open
to anyone with sufficient cash.

Not many legislators -- federal, state or local -- have grasped the growing
public angst until recently. One of several in the California Legislature
who understood the issue early is state Sen. Debra Bowen, D-Redondo Beach,
who has introduced several bills that would go a long way toward protecting
you and me from predatory data practices.