Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: yet again -- Inventing the Internet

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 16:27:07 -0500

It is nice to see confirmation of something I have said often and
loudly coming from someone like Joe DJF

Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 16:23:51 -0500 (EST)
From: Joseph Traub <traub () cs columbia edu>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
cc: Joseph Traub <traub () eigen cs columbia edu>
Subject: Inventing the Internet

The media and politicians have had much fun about the Vice-President's
purported claim that "I invented the internet". It is the case that Al
Gore was perhaps the the first political leader to grasp the importance
of networking the country (and later the world).

In 1986 I chaired the Computer science and Telecommunications Board and
Gore was our dinner speaker at the National Academy of Sciences. He spoke
about the importance of a  National Information Infrastructure. At the
time he was a senator from a fairly small Southeastern state and I was
amazed at his national vision. He has continued to be a national leader in
promoting the importance of the internet for commerce and education.
Could we perhaps see an end to cheap shots from politicians and pundits
about inventing the internet.