Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Bush to Gore

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 08:39:25 -0500

Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 15:39:16 -0800
From: Mark Boolootian <booloo () cats ucsc edu>
To: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Re: IP: Bush to Gore

 >   "Thank you for your e-mail. This Internet
 >         of yours is a wonderful invention."

His hyphenation of the word email is quaint.  My guess is Bush doesn't spend
much time on the net.  Don Knuth has had a short paragraph on this subject on
one of his pages for quite some time:

  A note on email versus e-mail

  Newly coined nonce words are often spelled with a hyphen, but the hyphen
  disappears when the words become widely used.  For example, people used to
  write "non-zero" and "soft-ware" instead of "nonzero" and "software"; the
  same trend has occurred for hundreds of other words. Thus it's high time
  for everybody to stop using the archaic spelling "e-mail". Think of how
  many keystrokes you will save in your lifetime if you stop now! The form
  "email" has been well established in England for several years, so I am
  amazed to see Americans being overly conservative in this regard. (Of
  course, "email" has been a familiar word in France much longer than in
  England --- but for an entirely different reason.)