Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE: DVD, ICrave, and cable TV...

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 13:51:52 -0500

From: "Rob Raisch" <info () raisch com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: RE: DVD, ICrave, and cable TV...
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 12:32:24 -0500

Dave, It appears this case isn't really about "geographic location" at all.

As I am sure you know, Internet protocol addresses (nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn) contain
only enough information to route packets through the plethora of
interconnected networks and do not (or cannot) say much about where a
particular Internet host is located.  With current addressing and routing
schemes, we cannot even say where a particular network might exist.  Thus,
discovering the physical location of a viewer based on any
network-addressing or routing information cannot work.  As Craig discovered,
relying on the viewer to provide some uniquely locating information is far
too open to "spoofing."  So, without the use of a uniquely-identified global
positioning radio-transponder, locating an arbitrary Internet user in the
real-world would seem impossible.

This case would appear to be about discovering the appropriate legal
jurisdiction under which a viewer falls, which seems several orders of
magnitude more difficult since we lack the two characteristics upon which
our concept of legal jurisdiction is based: unique personal identity and
place.

--
Rob Raisch - lead analyst, raisch.com
Providing muscular business intelligence