Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: calling party pays wireless

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 12:19:13 -0500

Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 08:29 PST
From: lauren () vortex com (Lauren Weinstein)
To: bkennard () fcc gov
Subject: calling party pays wireless
Cc: DFARBER () fcc gov, lauren () vortex com, neumann () pfir org

Mr. Kennard,

Greetings.  I recently read your response to John Stahl (in TELECOM
digest) regarding the calling party pays cellular/wireless proceedings.

I must admit that I too have serious concerns about the shape
of the service as it seems to be emerging.

I'm assuming that CPP cellular would remain an *optional* service
that would not result in artifical pressures on cellular services
to migrate users from conventional plans to CPP.  If such pressures
occurred we'd have yet another set of problems.

I am most concerned at this point about the charge notification regime.
I do understand (as per your note to Stahl) that you are considering
the requirement for a recorded message notifying the caller that
they are about to incur extra charges (presumably with a grace
period to hang up and avoid the charges).  However, this is
really insufficient protection:

  --- Would such recordings explain in detail what the charges
      would be for that particular call?  This could be
      complex in the case of roaming, and would be important so
      that potentially large charges would be fully understood
      by the caller.  A simple, "you are calling a wireless customer
      and will incur additional charges if you stay on the line"
      would not be adequate.

  --- As you know, cellular numbers are generally not discernable to be
      "special" numbers to callers based on their NPA-prefix designations.
      They look like ordinary landline numbers.  Competitive concerns and
      subscribers' desire not to necessarily reveal when they are providing
      a cellular number have created this environment.  This is in stark
      contrast to many other parts of the world, where cellular numbers
      typically are in separate prefixes that are easily recognized.  The
      lack of any number segregation for CPP subscribers in the U.S. means
      that it would be very difficult for telephone customers to themselves
      block access to CPP numbers.  Some customers with suitable equipment
      might be able to block access to all numbers in cellular prefixes, but
      that would of course prevent access to non-CPP numbers as well, and
      would still be hard for customers to manage in the rapidly changing
      cellular prefix environment.  CPP number segregation doesn't seem
      viable either, since we can assume cellular customers would desire the
      flexibility of dropping CPP (or moving to it) without changing their
      cellular number.

      Unless some mechanism exists for ordinary residential and business
      customers to specify that they do not wish to incur CPP charges (much
      as they can do now for NPA 900 numbers, for example) it is likely that
      the complaints will be rolling in.  Blocking is available for 900 --
      and there are announcements on those numbers of charges also.
      LXC-based blocking needs to be available for CPP also.  This suggests
      the need for a database of every current CPP number that can be
      referenced by the appropriate LXC during call setup.  Would this
      expensive undertaking end up being underwritten by all cellular
      subscribers, even those totally uninterested in CPP?  This would seem
      unfair.

  --- Finally, I am somewhat skeptical of the economic viability of CPP in
      the U.S. market.  Given the falling costs of airtime and bulk minute
      packages, the need for such a service would appear to be very niche
      oriented.  The experience of many countries outside the U.S. where the
      introduction of CPP resulted in significant increases in cellular
      usage (particularly of inbound calls) does not necessarily translate
      to the U.S. situation.  The big difference is that in most of the world
      callers are used to paying per minute for every call--the concept of
      flat rate local calling areas simply doesn't exist.  For them, the CPP
      charges are typically not significantly outside the range of what
      they'd expect to be paying anyway.  But in the U.S., where people (at
      least for residential subscribers) are used to local calls being
      untimed, (and even for business customers, costing just pennies a
      minute in the local calling area) CPP would represent a significant
      difference in charges.

      My gut feeling is that the hangup rate on the CPP charge announcements
      would be very high here in the U.S.

I'm sure you're already familiar with these issues, but I did want
to take this opportunity to note them.

Thanks very much.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () pfir org or lauren () vortex com
Co-Founder, PFIR: People for Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy