Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Greed undermines benefits of digital technology

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 19:00:55 -0500

Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 15:55:57 -0800 (PST)
From: Dan Gillmor <dgillmor () sjmercury com>
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>

http://www.mercurycenter.com/svtech/columns/gillmor/docs/dg030500.htm

Greed undermines benefits of digital technology

WHEN they wrote the Constitution, the nation's founders didn't figure on
digital technology's impact. But I'm convinced they would have been
appalled by the way greed has overcome the public interest when it comes
to intellectual property.

The entertainment and information industries are leading the charge. They
make no secret of their ultimate goal -- a system where consumers pay each
time we read, view or listen to anything. Today, sadly, the forces of
greed have the law on their side.