Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: thestreet.com's new security -- or, how to really bug customers

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 18:02:02 -0500

[sure shoots the cable modem services that use dynamic IP djf]

Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 19:37:30 GMT
From: Brendan Kehoe <brendan () zen org>
To: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>

My browser was sitting on thestreet.com's Portfolio Tracker application, which
lets me see how various stocks I own or am interested in are faring through
the day.

About an hour ago, it stopped showing anything, and instead read:

                  Sorry, your account was suspended.
                  Please call customer service at 1-800-562-9571 (outside the
                  US, please use 212-321-5000).

I called the 800 number, sitting on hold for about fifteen minutes or so on
what is in fact a toll call from Ireland.  Then I got a support person, who
saw that the account was suspended but didn't know why.  After being
transferred to a tech support person named Edwin, I was asked if I was letting
anyone else use my account.

No, to the best of my knowledge I was the only one doing it.  "Um, are you
sure?" was the response.  Hmm...that felt like someone's convinced I'm lying
to them.

After a little further discussion back and forth, I learned the details behind
the problem: thestreet's recently added a security feature to catch people
with more than one person using an account.  That makes sense enough.

It keeps track of the host IP address (your system) when you visit, and
appears to suspend your account if it finds that you're using two different
addresses within one 24-hour period.

While having the greatest intentions, thestreet needs to do some further
technical research into their decisions before implementing them.  The
unexpected hurdle in this approach is the fact that many users are connected
by way of intermittent dialup connections, or something similar.  (In my case,
it's an ISDN line, which drops the connection if it's idle for five minutes.)

I told Edwin that I felt this was a dangerous setup since it makes an
assumption about a user's IP address that's not technically accurate.  I tried
to point out how dynamic IP addressing is fairly common these days.  How
someone could be in an airport and check their accounts, then a few hours
later do the same after returning home.  Bang, you've now used two distinct
addresses, and thus would presumably be suspended by their system.

With some attempts to reassure me that they've not yet seen much trouble come
from this approach, he told me that any time in the future that it happens I
can just call again and have it reinstated.  Once I pointed out that the
call's not free from outside the US, I was able to work the address
techsupport () thestreet com out of him as a safe-guard for the future.
Whether or not a customer should have to put up with the service being
repeatedly interrupted is also questionable.

Dave, I'm sending you this note on the gamble that someone on IP might be
interested in contacting thestreet to investigate this on a larger scale.  (My
attempts with Edwin didn't work.)

I'm fairly certain a large portion of Silicon Valley, among other places, has
lately been using thestreet.com and similar services quite a bit, and thus
would encounter many of the same difficulties.

Thanks,
P.S. The two IP addresses he had for me were two random addresses inside the
eircom.net domain, for two distinct addresses our ISDN router received at
different points today between times of using the computer.  Sigh.

--
Brendan Kehoe

Web page: http://www.zen.org/~brendan/