Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Enhanced DTV in the Public Interest

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 16:59:24 -0500

From:                  Steven Clift <clift () PUBLICUS NET>
Subject:               [DW] Enhanced DTV in the Public Interest
To:                    do-wire () tc umn edu

*** Democracies Online Newswire - http://www.e-democracy.org/do ***

Enhanced Digital Television in the Public Interest

I am creating a special low volume e-mail announcement list to gather
those interested in the concept of broadcasting essential public
service information (government and community information) via the
side capacity of digital television.

To subscribe, send a message to:

     DO-eDTV-subscribe () egroups com

Digital television is essentially the universal one-way Internet. What
ones and zeros do we want available to everyone?  By broadcasting the
"best of" the most essential public interest Internet content through
DTV's "ancillary and supplementary services" a significant part of
content-oriented digital divide can be closed. Broadcast web pages might
include weather alerts, school lunch menus, snow emergency warnings,
missing children reports, crime alerts, city, neighborhood, and other
community event announcements, etc.. The key is to create a trusted
structure and system for community- level content aggregation and
syndication using widely accepted open standards and application along
with guaranteed access to some of the side capacity of DTV stations.  It
can be done!

For more on this concept read my new condensed "Public Internet"
concept overview <http://www.publicus.net/pi/> (and related links) and
my earlier Community Digital Broadcasting presentation to the Advisory
Committee on Public Interest Obligations of Digital Television
Broadcasters <http://www.publicus.net/cis/>.

Below is the official short description of the announcement list.  I
essentially want to find who is interested in this idea and try to
prompt some activity before the opportunity to influence standards and
applications in this arena are lost (there is no question in my mind
that entertainment web content will be broadcast
<http://www.iblast.com>, but I am afraid that public services will be
closed out due to their own inaction).  I know of no entity that is
taking charge of the technical/application issues in this area - if
you do, please let me know <clift () publicus net>.

Steven Clift, http://www.publicus.net
Democracies Online
http://www.e-democracy.org/do

Enhanced Digital Television - Democracies Online

A low volume e-mail announcement list on the development and use of
enhanced Digital Television for dissemination of public service
information.

This list is a Democracies Online <http://www.e-democracy.org/do>
service. Review Steven Clift's "Community Digital Broadcasting"
<http://www.publicus.net/cis/> on digital broadcasting of essential
community and public service information.

To subscribe, send a message to:

   DO-eDTV-subscribe () egroups com

^               ^               ^                ^
Steven L. Clift    -    W: http://www.publicus.net
Minneapolis    -   -   -     E: clift () publicus net
Minnesota  -   -   -   -   -    T: +1.612.822.8667
USA    -   -   -   -   -   -   -     ICQ: 13789183

*** Please send submissions to:  DO-WIRE () TC UMN EDU     ***
*** To subscribe, e-mail:  listserv () tc umn edu          ***
***         Message body:  SUB DO-WIRE                  ***
*** To unsubscribe instead, write: UNSUB DO-WIRE        ***

*** Please forward this post to others and encourage    ***
*** them to subscribe to the free DO-WIRE service.      ***