Interesting People mailing list archives

Fwd: IP: Information wants to be free

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 10:51:08 -0500

Sad thing is we essentially have the technology to stop this type of
action (given we want to) and we settle for inferior and attackable
stuff instead (it is cheaper)

Dave

From: "Rob Raisch" <info () raisch com>
To: "Dave Farber" <farber () cis upenn edu>

Pirated PDF versions of Stephen King's "Riding the Bullet" have been
circulating on the Internet since March 17. While many ISPs have forced
members to remove the decrypted files, they are still available from a Swiss
site, providing stark evidence of security weaknesses in PC-based eBook
distribution systems. The episode has irked the companies developing such
systems, who complain that export restrictions have kept them from using
more powerful encryption techniques.

Article: http://www.ebooknet.com/printerVersion.jsp?id=1671

--
Rob Raisch - lead analyst @ www.raisch.com