Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Cyberselfish (RE: Washington Diary #3 -- The Facts of Life in DC (Facts of Life in SV?))

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 20:26:16 -0400

From: "Jeff Ubois" <jeff () ubois com>
To: ">To: "Farber@Cis. Upenn. Edu" <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 10:05:43 -0700

Dave,

It sounds like life in DC has you involved in cross cultural studies.  A
good book on that theme is Cyberselfish <www.cyberselfish.com>, which
describes the collision between the belief systems held by the inside the
beltway crowd and the folks in silicon valley.  The New York Times reviewed
it last week:

Accusing Silicon Valley of a Heart of Coal
By LISA GUERNSEY

----

CYBERSELFISH: A CRITICAL ROMP THROUGH THE TERRIBLY LIBERTARIAN CULTURE OF
HIGH-TECH
By Paulina Borsook
(Public Affairs, $24.)
----

Paulina Borsook is fed up with Silicon Valley. But the area's instant
millionaires and outrageously priced houses are not the reason for her
fuming. It is the ideology behind the technology industry that really has
her miffed. Those emotions come screeching through in Ms. Borsook's book,
"Cyberselfish: A Critical Romp Through the Terribly Libertarian Culture of
High-Tech."

Ms. Borsook, a journalist and former contributing writer for Wired magazine,
has written an irreverent (and sometimes incomprehensible) rant on what she
sees as the hypocrisy of today's technology leaders. They don't like big
government, they don't like regulation, and they wish that Uncle Sam would
just leave them and their market-driven economy alone.

Yet, as Ms. Borsook points out over and over again, government money and
federal regulations have made Silicon Valley what it is today. Federal
grants sponsored university research that has been translated into scores of
Internet and computer products. Regulations have ensured that the banking
system is "relatively fraud free." And the defense industry, don't forget,
brought the Internet into existence in the first place.

<snip>