Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: what happens when the legislators dont understands the technology

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 16:38:36 -0400

Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 16:20:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ron Rivest <rivest () theory lcs mit edu>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Spreading viruses in Pennsylvania is illegal??

(IDG) -- People who intentionally spread a computer virus face a seven-year
prison sentence and a $15,000 fine in Pennsylvania after Governor Tom Ridge
signed a new bill into law May 26. The bill also requires that restitution
be paid for any damages caused.

What does "spreading a computer virus" mean?

Last month I sent out the "I Love You" virus to my cryptography/security
reading group, as we were going to study it at our next meeting.  The virus
was sent out in source code (vbs) format as part of a text file, not as a
.vbs attachment that might be unwittingly executed.  Of course, the
introductory
text described the virus being forwarded, and warned the recipients not to
execute it.  The purpose of the dissemination, as I said, was for study
purposes
and to help educate those who will be at the forefront of the infowars of the
future.

Is this now illegal (assuming that there might have been a recipient in
Pennsylvania)?

        Cheers,
        Ron Rivest