Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE: PFIR Statement on Electronic Signatures and Documents

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 17:15:00 -0400

From: "Baker, Stewart" <SBaker () steptoe com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
cc: "Albertazzie, Sally" <SAlbertazzie () steptoe com>
Subject: RE: PFIR Statement on Electronic Signatures and Documents
Date:  Sun, 18 Jun 2000 16:35:16 -0400

Dave,

Lauren Weinstein's rant about passage of the electronic signature bill
deserves a longer rebuttal than I can provide on a beautiful Sunday
afternoon, but there are a number of errors that can be pointed out quickly.
They are serious enough to cast doubt on the whole thrust of PFIR's
statement.

First, the notion that the bill allows "anything" to be an electronic
signature and that it should have enacted security standards seems to be
based on a romantic notion that handwritten signatures are secure in a way
that protects us from fraud.  This is just false.  In fact, for most
business transactions, typed or faxed or telegraphed names have been treated
as meeting signature requirements for nearly 150 years.  In an age of
xerography and facsimile, requiring something that looks like a signature at
the bottom of a document is not exactly a bulwark against fraud.  So how is
fraud prevented in such a world?  By allowing the purported signer to say
that he didn't actually put that symbol on the page or send that telegram or
fax that document.  The e-signature bill allows precisely the same
protections.

The idea that Congress should enact technology security standards is, well,
unlikely.  How long would such standards reflect current technology and
practices?  About a month would be my guess.  How long would they be a
source of politicking and standards lobbying by otherwise uncompetitive
companies?  More or less forever would be my guess.  Instead, Congress
eliminated any legal bar on accepting electronic signatures while leaving it
to companies to work out the particular technologies they will use.  In my
experience, which includes building legal frameworks for more than a dozen
PKI and electronic signature systems, the kind of technologies being used
grow progressively more secure depending on the size of the transactions,
which is pretty much what we'd expect and want.  In fact, if anything, the
signature technology is stronger than the rest of the computer system's
security, which is pretty much in line with the more general observation
that most computer security professionals measure themselves against the
resources of 20-year-old hackers while the cryptographers are measuring
themselves against the resources of NSA.

Finally, the suggestion that Verisign has achieved a monopoly by buying
Thawte is wrong, but perhaps understandably so.  In fact, the only market
where that is even arguable is for SSL certs, where Thawte was the low-cost
alternative to Verisign.  But since the merger, Entrust and Equifax,
especially Equifax, have roared into the market.  I think Equifax is now
offering SSL certs for half the price that Thawte used to charge, and its
market share is rising fast.  Some monopoly!

In short, there's a reason this bill passed almost unanimously in an age of
bitter partisanship.  At bottom, it's a good idea that both parties and
practically all consumer groups agreed with.

Stewart Baker
Steptoe & Johnson LLP
phone -- 202.429.6413
email fax -- 202.261.9825