Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: HISTORICAL DOCUMENT UP on RAND SITE

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 01:49:50 -0700

To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: HISTORICAL DOCUMENT UP on RAND SITE
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 13:33:27 -0700
From: "Willis H. Ware" <willis () rand org>

- --
Folder: YES
- --
RESEND, Dave.  This dropped in the crack somewhere between the District and
Bucks County.  I think this should be of interest to your IP folks.

                                                willis
===============================
For IP:

Dave:

In the late 60s I chaired a Defense Science Board Committee that produced a
document: Security Controls for Computer Systems. Classified for 9 years,
it was declassified and republished by RAND in 1979 [R-609-1].  Courtesy
of John Young (www.cryptome.org), the document was scanned and converted to
HTML format.

In addition to the full document with all figures and appendices, I wrote a
historical introduction for it.  Both are up on the RAND web page.

This document launched computer security within the DoD and ultimately,
elswhere because it was widely distributed; it has the gracious nickname of
"Ware report".  It is still very readable, very timely, and suffers only
from not being in tune with the contemporary technology (which of course
the committee could not anticipate).  Even so, the document's Figure 3
held true for quite a long time --  in general, until networking became a
major thrust.

Of particular interest to computer scientists would be the appendices which
collectively define a meta-structure and meta-language for specifying access
controls that would have implemented the system that governed access to
classified systems -- as it then existed.  This work was done by Arthur A.
Bushkin (who had just finished at MIT and was resident at RAND part of the
time) supported by Robert M. Balzer.

URLs are as follows.

    RAND Classics Page (which also contains Paul Baran's document series
        on Distributed Communications and other early RAND historical items)

        www.rand.org/publications/classics

The direct URL to the document itself:

        www.rand.org/publications/R/R609.1/R609.1.html

and to the historical introduction: