Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Hatch calls MS "knuckle-headed"; Judge limits media in DVD case

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 16:47:04 -0400

Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 12:05:52 -0400
To: politech () vorlon mit edu
From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>

DVD Mediation Sans Media
by Declan McCullagh (declan () wired com)

6:00 a.m. Jun. 7, 2000 PDT
NEW YORK -- Michael Eisner can relax.

Reporters may not attend the depositions of movie industry
representatives in a lawsuit over DVD viewing software, a
federal judge ruled late Tuesday.

"I find that the First Amendment interest, if there is one, is
outweighed by the risks," U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan
said during a hearing in New York federal court.

News organizations had asked to be present when Disney's
Eisner and Jack Valenti of the Motion Picture Association
of America were questioned by attorneys for 2600 Magazine.
The hacker zine is being sued by eight movie studios for
distributing the DeCSS DVD-decryption utility on its website.

But an angry Kaplan said the presence of journalists would
give both sides an additional reason to squabble over what is
confidential or not and delay the start of the trial, which is
scheduled to begin in July.

"I have every reason to believe that the presence of the
press would at best engender disputes and difficulty ... and
at worst encourage even more grandstanding," Kaplan said.

"The likelihood that these scorpions in a bottle are ever going
to agree on anything is near zero," Kaplan said of the lawyers
for both sides.

Representatives of Wired News, Times Mirror, the Village
Voice, and E-Commerce Law Weekly had asked for open
depositions, saying that the public interest demanded it and
the law allows it.

[...]

Hatch: MS 'Knuckle-Headed'
by Declan McCullagh and Nicholas Morehead

1:20 p.m. Jun. 6, 2000 PDT
WASHINGTON -- Whatever happens in Microsoft's antitrust
case, Senate Judiciary Committee chairman Orrin Hatch says
it's not personal, only business.

Microsoft-foe Hatch, a Utah Republican, spoke to an industry
conference Wednesday about topics including privacy, patent
reform, and the controversy surrounding Napster.

[...]

Hatch described Microsoft's approach to the case as
"knuckle-headed and hard-nosed. ... I have given (Microsoft)
advice, and they don't pay any attention to it."

[...]