Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Ken Phillips

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 06:43:27 -0400

Dr. Kenneth L. Phillips died on Saturday, May 27th in New York's St.
Vincent Hospital after a long illness. Ken was a good friend and an
inspiration to many of us in this dizzying world of every-changing
telecommunications technology. He was a vice-president of Citicorp for
many years, where he spearheaded their entry into global telecom-based
banking and finance, and headed an industry group of top U.S. firms
lobbying for more competition in telecom services. In this latter effort
he was most successful.

Ken was a true polymath. Telecom was not his only expertise (we taught a
course together for many years at NYU on the history of
telecommunications). Ken taught music theory at Tanglewood among other
places, and was an accomplished pianist, self-taught aided by his
exquisite innate ability of perfect pitch (he was proud of the fact that
he never learned to read music - all he had to do is hear a piece and he
could immediately play it perfectly).

Ken taught courses on the psychology of creativity and on telecom
engineering. He authored numerous papers on psychology, cryptology,
mathematics, engineering, and public policy. He testified  many times
before Congress and state public utility commissions.

He earned his Ph. D. from City University in New York in Psychology. He
loved to tell how he paid his way through college by working as a radio
announcer in New York and Boston; among the roles he would recreate was
that of the "Voice of Jello." He certainly had a wonderful sense of humor
and never hesitated to laugh at his own foibles.

Ken was an expert on the I Ching, writing a landmark paper on the
parallels between it and the structure of DNA! He practiced as a Jungian
analyst for many years, caring for his clients until quite recently
despite his illness.

But Ken's main love in life was his Koalas in Australia. He devoted a
month every year to attending to these threatened animals, performing eye
operations, documenting their behavior in photographs and video, and
writing a marvelous book on their habits and habitats which he illustrated
himself. (Koalas: Australia's Ancient Ones, Macmillan, 1994.)

We will miss Ken. He had a significant influence on our times.

A second memorial service is planned for September 20th in New York City.
If you are interested in attending, please send me an email & I will keep
you informed as to the time and place.

Richard Solomon
mailto:rjs () goodread com