Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: How not to distribute white papers OR WILL THEY EVER LEARN Risks Digest 20.90

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 01:21:08 -0700

Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 17:45:34 GMT
From: rubin () research att com (Avi Rubin)
Subject: How not to distribute white papers

I was reading a white paper from Microsoft about Windows 2000 security.
In particular, I am interested in how the Encrypted File System (EFS)
works. Someone at Microsoft informed me that there was a new version of
the white paper available at

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/library/howitworks/security/encrypt.asp

Great. I went to that site, and I found a copy of the introduction and a
link to the paper. The only catch was that the only way to download the
paper is to download a file called encrypt.exe. Once you download this file,
you can run the program, which unzips a word file. Obviously, Microsoft is
doing this to save storage space on their server and to reduce latency on
the downloads.

Of all companies, Microsoft should be the last one to encourage users to get
into the habit of downloading .exe programs and running them. The way I
handled it was to download the file to a sacrificial machine that I use for
this purpose. Then, I took it off the network and ran the program. I then
physically copied the .doc file to a floppy and transfered it using
sneakernet to my regular PC. Of course, I was still taking a chance. If the
downloaded program were malicious, then it could do its damage the next time
I connect the machine to the network. The problem is that it is very
difficult to know that a program is harmless, just because it does something
that you expect it to do. I could not believe that this is how Microsoft
distributes its white papers. It is beyond comprehension.

Avi Rubin

http://avirubin.com/