Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Instant Messaging...

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 12:41:05 -0400

From: Andre Durand <adurand () jabber com>
To: "'Galler, Bruce (Bruce)'" <bgaller () avaya com>,
   "'farber () linc cis upenn edu'" <farber () linc cis upenn edu>
Subject: Instant Messaging...
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 09:50:27 -0600

Hi Dave,

Bruce Galler and I know of each other through some dealings we had recently
related to a company that I've started in cooperation with some of the execs
of a small public company here in Denver. This new company is called
Jabber.com, and it is a commercialization of an open-source instant
messaging platform.

I first became involved in instant messaging back in 1991 in the bulletin
board industry. Instant messaging did not appear in the BBS industry until
the first multi-line BBS's were created in 1988. At the time, this feature
was called Paging and it in essence allowed users to see who else was online
and send them a short text message that would appear before their command
line when the message was sent. Several BBS's incorporated this feature,
including Galacticomm, PC Board, Mustang Wildcat etc.

To my knowledge, AOL's buddy list was the first major bulletin board to
implement IM features into the AOL client software and my company, Durand
Communications created the first client/server IM feature in our MindWire
product for NT in 1993.

Prior to the implementations of IM in the BBS industry, the Unix community
has had several flavors of IM like 'paging' going back to the early to mid
80s.

IM as a separate application did not originate until 1995, when Miribilis,
an Israeli company created ICQ. AOL followed shortly after with their AIM
product (basically splitting out their buddy list feature into a separate
Internet client) in 1996. Since then, there has been an explosion of new IM
clients and platforms. None of them distributed and none of them talking to
one another.

That's where Jabber comes in, it is a distributed client/server platform
(similar to email) which bridges all of the proprietary networks. You can
find out more about it at jabber.org (developers info), jabber.com
(commercial products) and jabbercentral.com (end-user news and info).

Hope this was helpful. If you have other questions, don't hesitate to call
or write.

Andre Durand
GM, Jabber.com

PS. How you doing Bruce? Let's make sure to stay in touch.