Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Another view * 2 on WAP Backlash

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 06:15:26 -0400

Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 09:22:04 +0300
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Petri Mahonen <petri.mahonen () vtt fi>

Hi Dave,

My comments on Alan's (and others) WAP discussion. Living in Finland, which
is like Sweden more or less cellular laboratory of the world quite often,
gives you
a perspective on WAP as it has been around from field trials up to
commercial use.
I agree with Alan's comments on WAP -- but I think I am more WAP "hater"
than friend, partially because of my IP & datacomm background.

The biggest problem with WAP is that marketing people have gone ballistic and
are selling it like "wireless Internet" or "web on your pocket". We are
already
experiencing some serious backslash from common users on this. Some of them
have been expecting Internet. I would not care of this, but this backslash
is also
affecting to serious academic R&D and product development done in companies.

Moreover most of the WAP is very very poorly done. It is not only problem with
small companies setting up unstandard WAP services, before learning to do WAP.
It is worse. Quite many of terminal equipments and server products shipped
from
manufacturers are broken. There has been instances where WAP phones from
two well know Scandinavian manufacturers have not been compatible. Oh, make
it worse, we have been able to see different behavior with same manufacturer's
products.

The slowness of WAP is, naturally, a problem. I have been telling in several
conferences to people that it is something to be expected, it is more like
SMS-with-menu (and steroids) than "wireless Internet dream". The biggest
problem is that sometimes over 30% of connections are failed, but operator
will nevertheless get you to pay for air time.

The GPRS will make the connection establishment time going time, but
you will not be seeing any substantial speed up for connections. Well,
you might be getting 10 - 40 kilobits per second to your phone, but that's
it. At least in Scandinavia, not a single operator is telling (publicly) how
they are pricing GPRS service. It will not be too cheap, or network will
be useless. Besides if it gets too cheap, I will start to run
VoIP-over-GPRS...
why bother to pay for circuit switching prices. Well, you get a scenario,
the very cheap GPRS prices will not materialize overnight, I think.

Finally, there are two big problems with WAP. The main reasons I have
been against it. First, there are well known problems in its security. Two
biggest Nordic banks are already offering full WAP banking services
over GSM. I have been waiting with some friends when the worse happens,
hopefully never. From the user point of view, these banking applications
are the best; carefully programmed, user interfaces has been though out etc.
There should be more work on security before I would be trusting WAP too
much.

Second, the WAP philosophy has been "walled garden" and "lip service
to IP". With walled garden I mean that most of the operators decided to give
through their WAP gateways only their own (or partners') services. So forget
free surfing like in Internet, you are in the typical closed telco world.
This is
getting slowly better because of customer pressure. Finally, I could kind of
live with writing new code for WAP, but they have gone and redefined almost
every stack in the UDP/TCP/IP world available. So forget, IP compability
and philosophy. Again this is all right as far as we remember that WAP
is just SMS-with-menus and meant to be teleco system. But lets not
fool ourselves it is not providing wireless Internet in technical sense.

So in short, WAP is bad for Internet health because it is trying to
enforce "walled garden telecom approach", is not really open standard
but proprietary system that is not TCP/IP compatible, still unreliable,
and some security questions are open. Other than that it is working
just fine as a nice extension over SMS capabilities. Which one I have
been using more?...SMS of course.

The WAP will get better no doubt, and it will be good business. However,
I would suppose that it will be transitional technology. In Scandinavia
where mobile "things" are lasting very short time periods, it might be even
a serious flop. As WLANs and 3G are getting more ubiquitous, it will be
possible to get faster (with WLANs really fast, in case of 3G we are talking
maybe about 40-100 kbit/s -- theoretical maximum 384 kbit/s during Phase I)
and more standard compliant IP connections to new terminals. It is possible
that within few years, WAP is fading away as a bad dream from our mind.

Oh, and what is even worse hype than WAP...Bluetooth of course. But that
is another story about marketing and "mediocre engineering" going ballistic.

Petri

=======
Petri Mähönen
Professor, Head of Department