Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Always disconnected

From: David Farber <dfarber () fast net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 19:09:23 -0400

As I mentioned last week, the needs of future business and homes for always
connected service may be a illusion unless the comm companies get their act
together

Last Sunday am, my DSL service went down. I called my ISP who notified the
CLEC who queried the ILEC.( I hope via the internet) After several hours I
was told that a long haul carrier was doing some work and screwed up my
DSL!!. It got fixed soon there after. Several hours latter out it went
again. I called the ISP who called the CLEC who reported back early Monday
that the software in the central office had changed and they could not check
the connection from their site. They said they would have to scheduled a
house call. That took till Thursday at which time they came and said the
problem was not in my apartment house and that they would report it to the
ILEC. So far as of this time, the connection is still down.

This is to quote me "this is for the birds". If this is typical then our
image of the future of always connected households with distributed
processing and external services is just a bad dream.

Dave