Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Alleged spammer wins order against Realtime Blackhole List

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 06:40:37 -0400

Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 05:17:35 -0400
To: politech () vorlon mit edu
From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>

[This is, unfortunately, a huge issue. The Realtime Blackhole List
(http://mail-abuse.org/) is one of the best ways to stop spam. I use it
with procmail and mutt on my Linux server to file suspected spam into a,
well, "suspected spam" folder. The system is entirely voluntary and free:
Concerned individuals and Internet service providers sign up for a free
subscription to a frequently-updated list of offending sites. Think of it
like signing up for a list of restaurant reviews, so you know to avoid
certain places. At least the defendant seems exceptionally well-prepared
for the suit: They've been getting ready for this for a while. If they
lose, I hope they go offshore. --Declan]

http://mail-abuse.org/
We at MAPS are aware of the mounting curiousity which has been generated
by the article in DIRECT magazine. At this time we can only confirm that
Yesmail.Com has indeed filed a lawsuit against MAPS, and a Temporary
Restraining Order (``TRO'') has been issued. MAPS will comment in more
detail at a later date. In the meantime we thank you for your concern and
support.

http://www.directmag.com/content/newsline/main.html#81

Yesmail Gets Restraining Order Against MAPS Blacklist
By Patricia Odell, Richard H. Levey

Yesmail.com, a Chicago-based permission marketer, won a temporary
restraining order Thursday against Mail Abuse Prevention System LLC (MAPS)
in the first legal challenge to the Redwood, CA-based group.

Issued by the Northern District Court of Illinois (Eastern Division), the
order blocks MAPS from adding yesmail to its list of alleged spammers. It
is good through Aug. 2. A hearing has been scheduled for July 18.

Several firms have found their Web sites shut down and their e-mails
blocked after being listed on MAPS' Realtime Blackhole List (RBL). The
RBL, which lists more than 3,000 alleged spammers, is subscribed to by
20,000 Internet ervice providers, corporations, government agencies and
individuals.

In a complaint filed on Thursday, yesmail alleged that MAPS had announced
its intent to include yesmail on the RBL.

The complaint states that subscribers constantly "check in" with the RBL
while carrying electronic communication, and that if an Internet Protocol
(IP) address is listed on the RBL Internet Service providers will not
carry the communications.

By threatening to do so and by publicizing the threat, MAPS would disrupt
yesmail's contractual relationships with its advertising business, the
complaint states.