Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Heads up, guys!

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 17:08:29 -0400

Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 16:16:41 -0500
From: gep2 () terabites com
Subject: Re: Heads up, guys!
To: farber () cis upenn edu

A friend of mine that I forwarded this warning sent me the below
reply.  Since I
think it's worthwhile, I'm forwarding it around too.

<---- Begin Forwarded Message ---->

A helpful addendum to your message would be a list of resources for
protecting one's privacy.  Here are a few that I use:

1. JunkBuster
   ----------
   A free Internet proxy that allows a user to block specific domains &
   URLs.  The block list mechanism is particularly flexible, and allows
   wildcards.  You may, for example, block the following:

         doubleclick.com       // a specific domain
         ads.*.com             // any 'ads' domain
         /ads                  // anything coming from an 'ads' directory

   JunkBuster also can block cookies.  Go to http://www.junkbusters.com/
   for more information.  JunkBuster's source code is available.  Junk-
   Buster works on most systems.

2. McAfee VirusScan
   ----------------
   This has a configurable Internet filter that allows the blocking of
   specific IP addresses and URLs.  The block list does not allow
   wildcards, and has the annoying habit of popping up a confirmation
   dialog box the first time it encounters a blocked URL.  On the plus
   side, it also allows for filtering of ActiveX and Java classes.

   VirusScan is not free, but it is inexpensive.  Look around and you
   can probably find it for less than $20.  It is also PC specific.

3. A clever trick that doesn't require *any* software.
   The Web page http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~atman/spam/adblock.shtml
   details a way to block specific URLs without software.  In essence,
   you map offending IP addresses to your own machine.  HTTP requests
   to offending addresses are sent back to your machine, where they
   fail.  Works on almost any machine (PC, Mac, Unix, Linux, etc).

I use all of these.  A nice side effect of blocking approximately forty
specific sites (DoubleClick, LinkExchange, Preferences.com, etc) is that I
very rarely see banner ads.

My JunkBuster blockfile can be found at
http://www.rdrop.com/~half/Creations/Writings/Raves/sblock.ini

Note that a well-maintained block list will also cut down on
privacy-destroying Web bugs, which is a problem that is growing very quickly.
 Robert Smith's site has information on this problem.
http://www.tiac.net/users/smiths/

Feel free to redistribute this to anyone you think it might help.

Email: http://www.rdrop.com/~half/Personal/Life/ContactInformation.html
  PGP: http://www.rdrop.com/~half/Personal/Life/PublicKey.txt
  Web: http://www.rdrop.com/~half/

<----  End Forwarded Message  ---->

Gordon Peterson
http://personal.terabites.com/
Support the Anti-SPAM Amendment!  Join at http://www.cauce.org/
12/19/98: the day the Conservatives demonstrated their scorn for their
   fraudulent sham of representative government.  Voters, remember it!