Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: \Testing criminals, teachers, students,rockets

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 14:23:07 -0400

[second the motion djf]

Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 13:16:56 -0400
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
From: Jock Gill <jgill () e-greenstar com>
Subject: Testing criminals, teachers, students,rockets

Dave,

I suppose it is too much to ask that we apply uniform testing standards
for criminals [three strikes], teachers [tenure challenges]; students
[pass a test to graduate] and rockets [missile defense comes tomind].

If we allow the military/industrial complex to "fudge" tests and their
results, then how can anyone expect us to hold anyone else to a higher
standard?  Do you suppose the proponents of a so called missile defense
proposal would so staunchly defend the rights of teachers, students and
criminals to set up doctored, dumbed down tests and then combine all right
answers from all failed tests to form an aggregate passing score?

Isn't Q`2§American way a fair and square testing procedure uniformly and
symmetrically applied where what is good for the goose is good for the
gander?  If not, what meaning has the 'rule of law'?

Perhaps the pentagon has done us a favor by exposing the hypocrisy
surrounding our mania for testing.

Best regards,

Jock