Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: One more on new encript regs

From: farber () cis upenn edu <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 17:17 +0000

----Original Message-----
From:           "Baker, Stewart" <SBaker () steptoe com>
To:             "'farber () cis upenn edu'" <farber () cis upenn edu>
Cc:             "Albertazzie, Sally" <SAlbertazzie () steptoe com>
Subject:        RE: Twp on New Encryption Regulations
Date:           Thursday, January 13, 2000 9:36 AM

Dave,

I'm pleased to say that Brett Glass's interpretation of the new regs and
public source is too narrow.  The new regulations permit source code subject
to the GPL to be freely exported.  This issue was considered extensively by
the government in drafting the new regulations.  The regulations deal with
the issue explicitly by stating:

"Intellectual property protection (e.g., copyright, patent or trademark)
will not, by itself, be construed as an express agreement for the payment of
a licensing fee or royalty for commercial production or sale of any product
developed using the source code."

So using IP to restrict commercial development does not push source code out
of the regulations' favorable export treatment, at least as long as the IP
is not used to require royalty payments.

Stewart Baker
Steptoe & Johnson LLP
phone -- 202.429.6413
email fax -- 202.261.9825