Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: An interesting take on the AOL-Time Warner merger

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 18:39 +0000

----Original Message-----
From:           nrichards () mindspring com
To:             farber () cis upenn edu
Subject:        An interesting take on the AOL-Time Warner merger
Date:           Tuesday, January 11, 2000 1:31 PM

Dave,

I thought this quote from a Salon article was insightful:

"The other mystery is how the companies managed to keep this massive, complex deal so completely a secret, with nary a
leak in sight. These are both media companies, right? What kind of journalists work for them, anyway? Or could the
tight lid on this story be a harbinger of the kind of controlled presentation of the news we can expect to see more and
more of as the media falls into ever fewer corporate hands?

Watching Gerald Levin answer questions from his own employees at the AOL Time Warner press conference, broadcast over
his own networks (or on the AOL Web site, where I saw it), you just might get a glimpse of the future. More and more,
it seems, this is the "new media."

(article is at: http://www.salon.com/tech/col/rose/2000/01/10/aol_time/)

Nick