Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Broader picture of Internet in Israel

From: farber () cis upenn edu <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 15:45 +0000

----Original Message-----
From:           Bruce Krulwich <krulwich () geocities com>
To:             IP list Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject:        Broader picture of Internet in Israel
Date:           Sunday, January 09, 2000 10:26 AM

Dave -- Interested in a response from an Israeli on the list?

I can't comment on the ruling itself, having not read it, and I don't
claim to represent Israeli ultra-Orthodox views.  But the issue of use
of the Internet (and technology in general) by ultra-Orthodox groups in
Israel is more complex than portrayed.

Many ultra-Orthodox affiliated Jews are involved in the Israeli
high-tech industry, including successful VC's and founders of companies,
and including lots of programmers.

Ultra-Orthodox groups are in fact using the Internet to spread Jewish
thought and Torah study, with lots of material both on the weekly
portion of Torah read in Synagogue and on the daily page of Talmud
learned by thousands worldwide.  Many of these groups are using the
latest technology to distribute non-textual material.

Also at the same time, every kindergarden (hundreds) under the auspices
of the Ultra-Orthodox school system here in Israel has a computer which
students use daily.

The contrast of various extreme views is disturbing, but this reflects
soemwhat the contrasts in views that exists worldwide in education and
other disciplines.  There's no simple explanation, but it's not as
simple and rediculous as it's portrayed.

Bruce Krulwich
krulwich () geocities com
http://www.geocities.com/krulwich/