Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: just do it yourself doubleclick opt_out

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 20:06:09 -0500

Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 16:29:23 -0800
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Mark Laubach <laubach () inconvenient net>
Subject: just do it yourself doubleclick opt_out

[Verified direction.  Use this one from inconvenient.net.]

I just surfed www.doubleclick.net and descended down to the opt out
option and it seemed to work ok.  Maybe they changed the link so
people would have to go diving at their site?

Anyway, you can opt out of doubleclick with your text editor.  Follow
these directions to edit your cookie file.

I did the opt out from doubleclick earlier this week.  Here's the replaced
line in my Netscape 4.7 cookie file from my Powerbook:

.doubleclick.net        TRUE    /       FALSE   1920499172      id
OPT_OUT

Notes:

1) The cookie file on a MAC or PC is just a text file.  You can manually
edit the file and replace the doubleclick references with above line.  One
you open the file, search for doubleclick and paste the above line over the
exisiting line if it doesn't say "OPT_OUT".  Quite netscape first before
editing the cookie file.  When you locate your cookie file by one of the
methods below, make a copy of it first in case there's an "oops" later one.
You don't want to loose all your cookie marbles.

a) For Netscape under Win(loose)9x, the cookie file is called
"cookies.txt".  Use Window Explorer's find to locate the file and then just
doubleclick on it to open the text editor.

b) For netscape on the MAC, the file is called "MagicCookie" and it should
be found in your user profile folder that Netscape created.  You can use
Sherlock to find the file.  If you have several file of the same name, find
the one with the most recent modify date.  Editing is a bit more difficult
because SimpleText can't see the file.  Don't use MSWORD it reformats the
text lines!  Other editors should have a "all files" button on their open
window which you'll need to click to see the cookie file's name.  For
example, I use the Alpha text editor, it is able too see the file.
Important: you must answer "no" to the pop-up "Convert from paragraph
format?"  question when using Alpha.  BBEDIT can see the file when you
select "any file" option in the file open box.

c) For netscape on versions of UNIX, find the cookie file under your
home directory and just edit it.  Again, when netscape isn't running.

2) The white space between the tokens should be a single TAB, not SPACEs.
If you cut and paste the above line, make sure the TABs were not turned
into SPACEs.  MACs and PCs follow the same format of using TAB delimiters.

3) MAC files designate "type" and "creator" and you may have to reset the
both using resedit or a utility such as snitch.  Type sould be "COOK" and
creator "MOSS".  I have tried running netscape with different type and
creator and netscape doesn't appear to mind.  If it does mind, you have to
reset both.  Both Alpha and BBEDIT preserved COOK/MOSS on save.  Your
mileage may vary with other editors.  On the PC, it doesn't matter as it's
the ".txt" extension that makes the difference.

4) I have no idea how IE keeps cookies.  Might be the same mechanism,
however likely a different format.

5) If doubleclick doesn't follow their own opt out plans in the future,
the above cookie could always be replaced by them at any time.

Mark