Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Who is next -- : Customs Svc busts hobby electronics re "surreptitous intercept devs"

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 20:27:17 -0500

Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 11:24:35 -0800
To: Recipient List Suppressed:;;;;Recipient.List.Suppressed:;@well.com;;;;;;;;
From: Jim Warren <jwarren () well com>
Subject: Customs Svc busts hobby electronics re "surreptitous intercept
 devs"

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/01/04/2316228&mode=flat

Posted by emmett on Wednesday January 05, @10:00AM
from the straight-from-the-horse's-mouth dept.
On November 10th 1999, Ramsey Electronics of Victor, New York, was raided
by the United States Customs Service for allegedly manufacturing and
distributing 'Electronic Surreptitious Intercept Devices' as defined by
Title 18 USC, Section 2512. We spoke to both Ramsey Electronics President
John Ramsey and Joel Violanti, the federal prosecutor on the case, to find
out exactly what happened, and why. (Click below for more.)

The Raid

On the morning of November 10th, radio equipment manufacturer Ramsey
Electronics was raided by the United States Customs Service by officers
with a search warrant. In addition to building radio testing equipment,
Ramsey Electronics is also a well-known vendor of electronic hobby kits
used by organizations like the Boy Scouts of America. Like an action movie
drug-bust, agents moved in at 10 a.m. to search and seize over $30,000
worth of Ramsey Electronics inventory. Company President John Ramsey
offered this play-by-play of that morning's events:

They had already been here almost an hour when I walked in. I [had been] at
the bank. When I came back in, I saw my controller, Ed VanVoorhis and his
face was white as a ghost. There were these two guys wearing suits standing
on each side of him. He told me that these guys were from the government
and they were here with a search warrant. Then the agents took over; they
pretty much bullied me down the hallway and into my office. I went to go
sit at my desk, and they said 'No. you sit over here,' pointing to a couch
in my office.

The two of them proceeded to rattle off a lot of mumble jumble like Title
18 USC Section 2512 and other numbers, flashing badges and being
surrealistically intimidating. I'm looking at my accountant. I have never
seem him like this. The [agents] are verbally batting me back and forth,
and I'm like, 'Hey, what's going on?' They proceeded to tell me that they
were executing a search warrant to find goods that were in violation of
section 2512, and they shove this four or five page search warrant in my
face.

They said that they were here to find stuff that violated section 2512 and
I said, 'Like our wireless FM mic kits?' The one [agent] gave me his card,
and I noticed that he was from Buffalo, an hour and a half away. I said,
'you two guys came all the way here from Buffalo?' and he said, 'No.
There's seven of us.'

Then he said, 'If you don't cooperate with us, we'll shut you down. We'll
lock the doors, send all the employees home, we'll go through all of your
inventory, records, customer lists and computers. We'll go through your
computers bit-by-bit. We have experts that do that, and we don't care if it
takes months.' I was escorted out to the production and shipping areas,
which they had pretty much commandeered. All the doors had 8 1/2 x 11
pieces of paper taped on them with a large handwritten letter on them -
like A, B and C. There was a fellow wearing a photographers vest snapping
pictures everywhere; we later counted 5 empty film cans in the trash!

About five hours after they arrived, they staged all of the official US
government boxes near the back loading dock. They took a huge van and
backed it up to my loading dock, and proceeded to load it with my goods. I
walked over to the boxes to verify what they were taking; obviously, they
would want me to confirm their counts and amounts.

I was stunned! They wouldn't let me see what was in the boxes! I have no
idea what they took. I went over to look in them, and they told me to get
away. They told me they'd give me an inventory sheet. I said, 'That's my
stuff and I should be able to check it.' Special Agent Craig Healy turned
to me and said 'You can trust us.'

After they had finished loading the van, they presented me with the
inventory sheet, a simple handwritten sheet with no names, titles or
signatures. There's nothing indicating who it was from on it. I looked at
one of the sheets quickly and noticed the very first part number wasn't one
of ours and the second item number listed was for a kit that had no
function or bearing on their search warrant. They agreed to fish those two
items out of the van and sure enough, neither item was correct. One of them
said words to the effect of, 'gee, we must have picked up the wrong box
from your shelf.' They corrected their mistakes, asked for a recommendation
for a good local restaurant and were on their way...

After they left, employees told me that they surrounded the building,
watching all the entrances while they entered along with a New York state
trooper for back-up. This show of force, while maybe necessary for raiding
an underground drug lab, was hardly necessary. Our building is located in a
typical suburban office park and our showroom is open to all.

What's incredible is that two of the agents were here a week earlier,
pretending to be customers! This 'recon' obviously would have shown them
that no force would be needed, let alone seven agents on a three hour
travel time round trip. What's especially aggravating was that during the
earlier visit they tried to lead one of my technical people into saying
something they wanted to hear.

Questions were posed like 'if we placed one of these little kits across the
street in that building - for instance - could we hear it over here?' Our
technician assured them that although the units work great for model
rockets, toy cars and such, they really weren't suited for transmitting out
of a building. Steel construction, reinforcing rod and the like limits
range. They then asked if they could boost the power to do the job. Our
fellow once again reiterated that the kits were hobby stuff and that what
they wanted couldn't be found here. After the raid, my technician told me
that they were here last week, playing 'customer' and how they had left
unsatisfied.

So, where do we sit now? I have a Federal Small Business Innovation Grant
underway that uses our little FM-5 wireless mike to transmit muscle sensor
data to a nearby computer system. The doctors who are partners in the grant
specified the FM-5 due to its small size; present technology uses a six
pound transmitter that straps to the back of a child. Tough to do on a
forty pound kid. The research is on walking disorders on crippled kids.

Now what? Shall we violate their interpretation of the law and work with
the doctors and the SBIR people? How about all the schools, scout troops
and hobbyists who use our kits? We're not talking big money here. The kits
amount to a small portion of our business, but what will these folks do now?

I have personally received mail from many who say that they are now
graduate engineers as a direct result of one of our little kits sparking
their interest in electronics. I guess the mobsters, terrorists and
kidnappers don't feel the need to write, huh?

The Aftermath - and the Feds

The raid on Ramsey Electronics has caused quite a stir online, in Ramsey's
own discussion forum as well as the submission queue here at Slashdot.
People have gotten into intense discussions about freedom of information,
freedom of speech, and the importance of using modern electronics in the
field of education. At first glance, the raid may look like a cavalcade of
constitutional rights issues, but Joel Violanti, the attorney prosecuting
this case for the United States Customs Service, disagrees. Here's his take
on the Ramsey raid:

Slashdot:
What happened, Joel?

Violanti:
On November 10th, there were approximately 13 search warrants issued in New
York City and Rochester, New York and Austin, Texas against companies
believed to be in the business of selling electronic surreptitious
intercept devices, in violation of federal law. Ramsey Electronics was one
of those companies.

Slashdot:
Apparently, Ramsey's been selling this equipment for a very long time. Why
did the raid occur last year?

Violanti:
If something's illegal, it's illegal.

Slashdot:
Is there any reason that Ramsey Electronics wasn't raided earlier?

Violanti:
Sometimes you can only act upon things when you're informed of them.
There's a task force in New York City that's been investigating this for a
few years now. They've been shutting down companies or preventing companies
from selling these things, and they've been taking several criminal pleas
because of this. These people have been pleading guilty in Federal court.
San Francisco now has a task force. Other cities are joining in, trying to
stop the manufacture and distribution of this equipment.

Slashdot:
Where does it stop? It seems like I could build something like this on my
own, and then be just as guilty.

Violanti:
The statute prohibits people from manufacturing and distributing these
devices, knowing they've been shipped through the mail.

Slashdot:
Where does the government draw the line at surreptitious use, as opposed to
educational use?

Violanti:
I don't know how to answer that. Use is use. If you place a device in a
clock, and you put that clock on the wall, and you monitor someone's
conversation that you're not a part of, I think that surreptitious use
speaks for itself. Clock, smoke detector, or picture frame, you're taking
that device out of its primary use in order to secretly intercept someone
else's conversation. We're not necessarily looking for kits or components.
We're looking for items like clocks, smoke detectors and picture frames.

Mr. Violanti made it clear that the US Customs Service was not in any way
attempting to 'crack down' on the hobbyist or educational use of electronic
devices. The emphasis remains on specific items that fall under the
category of surreptitious use. The specific items the feds were apparently
looking for in the Ramsey raid were things like microphones and video
cameras mounted inside smoke detectors or alarm clocks, effectively
masquerading as something they weren't.

Despite Mr. Violanti's reasuurances, the Ramsey Electronics raid still
leaves questions for innocent geeks who like to tinker with assorted
electronic parts. What if, for instance, you build an alarm clock that will
sense motion when it goes off, and will keep going off if it doesn't sense
you getting out of bed and stops when you do? What if you rig your smoke
detector with a video or audio system so that rescue workers can make sure
your family gets out of your house safely in the event of a fire?
There are many uses for 'surveillance technology' other than listening in
on boring conversations.

But even if you made these devices with the most innocent purposes in mind,
and sold them through the U.S. Mail to people as innocent as yourself, it
looks like the Federal Government would feel justified in taking them away
from you just in case one of your customers decided to use one of your
gadgets to break the law in some way.

It's a scary thought, isn't it?

====

http://www.2600.com/news/1999/1218.html

FEDS RAID ELECTRONIC HOBBY VENDORS
12/18/99
2600 has learned that several small electronic hobbyist vendors were
recently raided by federal agents brandishing semiautomatic weapons. News
of these raids has been kept out of the media and many of those involved
fear retribution if they openly discuss the case. Until now, these
companies had operated for years selling harmless educational electronic
kits (like wireless microphones) to students, hobbyists, ham radio
operators, and hackers. Now their inventories are being seized at
gunpoint--and their owners could be facing bankruptcy and prison time.

The U.S. Dept. of Justice is apparently re-interpreting federal wiretapping
and smuggling laws to include small hobby radio transmitters. Even
possessing so-called "Mr. Microphone" type toys can now put hobbyists at
risk of looking down the barrel of a federal agent's loaded gun, a felony
conviction, federal prison time, loss of property, and legal fees into the
tens of thousands of dollars.

Ramsey Electronics and Super Circuits are just two of the companies
recently raided at gunpoint. Both have good and longstanding reputations
for selling inexpensive, quality educational kits and components to
electronics hobbyists for many years through ads in electronic hobby
magazines and their websites.
A high-ranking Justice Dept. official told one of the business owners the
orders for these raids are politically motivated and originated from a very
high level in the Clinton administration as a result of the Linda Tripp
wiretapping case. "They just need convictions," the official said.

Earlier this year the Justice Dept. indicted Bill Cheek, the well-known and
loved author of books on radio scanner modifications and Monitoring Times
column writer. Bill was selling very simple "data-slicer" circuits (made
from parts available at any Radio Shack) that could be used with a PC and a
scanner to monitor radio data transmissions--including unencrypted police
mobile data terminal (MDT) transmissions. Even after Bill had been
diagnosed with terminal cancer, the Federal government refused to back off,
even issuing a summons to court on the same day he was to begin
chemotherapy.

In 1995 2600's BernieS was locked up in five different maximum-security
prisons over 14 months by the Secret Service for possessing his laptop
computer, his software, and ordinary electronic parts available at Radio
Shack. He had been distributing parts, software, books, and pamphlets about
cellular and coin telephones. The Justice Department's final investigation
report stated "There were no victims in the offense."

This is a clear pattern of harassment and abuse of power by our Federal
government against people teaching others about electronic communications.
It appears our government doesn't want people to know this information.
2600 strongly feels this knowledge is important for people to have, and
will continue spreading it at every opportunity. Write and call your
legislators to complain about this injustice. You could be next!

====

Presumably, the feds have not raided the manufacturers of surveillance
equipment and 'bugs' that are sold (and shipped through the mail) to
federal officials for *their* covert use -- as the CALEA says -- under
court order "or when otherwise authorized" [by someone].  (CALEA is the
Communications Assistance to Law Enforcement Act, that authorizes half a
billion tax-dollars to make nation's phones undetectably wiretap-ready.)

--jim; Jim Warren
columnist, activist, hedonist wannabe'; jwarren () well com
345 Swett Rd, Woodside CA 94062; 650-851-7075; fax-for-the-quaint/650-851-2814

[self-inflating puff: Hugh Hefner First-Amendment Award, Playboy Foundation;
Electronic Frontier Foundation Pioneer Award (in its first year);
James Madison Freedom-of-Information Award, Soc.of Prof.Journalists-Nor.Calif
founded InfoWorld; the Computers, Freedom & Privacy Conferences; etc etc etc.]