Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Two telecom Europeon stories NOTE my embedded comments

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 16:37:43 -0500

Roaming Bills Draw Europe's Attention

The high perceived cost of mobile roaming has triggered an investigation
under European Union competition rules. The European Commission has sent
out more than 200 formal requests for information to ...

http://www.totaltele.com/secure/view.asp?ArticleID=25763&pub=tt&categoryid=0

[ it is actually worse than you think. Any idea what happens when you roam
in Europe with your US number and a local person calls you. Tell me what is
charged for -- as far as I can tell, they end up placing a call across the
Atlantic into my  US carrier who then charges  me to get back to Europe.
Want to guess what actually happens djf]

AOL Europe, Nokia & Ericsson Form WAP Alliance

Europe's number two Internet service provider AOL Europe said on Monday it
was forming a partnership with Nokia and Ericsson for the development and
trial of Internet-compatible mobile services. AOL ...

http://www.totaltele.com/secure/view.asp?ArticleID=25762&pub=tt&categoryid=0

[ Before you jump to use WAP , you should read

"Attacks against the WAP WTLS Protocol" by
Markku-Juhani O. Saarinen
http://www.jyu.fi/~mjos/wtls.pdf

djf]