Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: A report on the WHite House meeting by Gene Stafford

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 15:27:33 -0500

Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 12:59:48 -0500
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
From: Gene Spafford <spaf () cerias purdue edu>

Infosecurity at the White House
Gene Spafford

Prolog

Last week (ca. 2/8/00), a massive distributed denial of service attack was
committed against a number of Internet businesses, including e-Bay, Yahoo,
Amazon.com, and others.   This was accomplished by breaking into hundreds
(thousands?) of poorly-secured machines around the net and installing
packet generation "slave" programs.   These programs respond by remote
control to send packets of various types to target hosts on the
network.  The resulting flood effectively shut those target systems out of
normal operation for periods ranging up to several hours.

The press jumped all over this as if it was something terribly new (it
isn't -- experienced security researchers have known about this kind of
problem for many years) and awful (it can be, but wasn't as bad as they
make it out to be).   One estimate in one news source speculated that over
a billion dollars had been lost in lost revenue, downtime, and
preventative measures.  I'm skeptical of that, but it certainly is the
case that a significant loss occurred.

Friday, Feb 11, I got a call from someone I know at OSTP (Office of
Science and Technology Policy) inquiring if I would be available to meet
with the President as part of a special meeting on Internet security.  I
said "yes."   I was not provided with a list of attendees or an
agenda.    Initially, I was told it would be a meeting of security
experts, major company CEOs, and some members of the Security Council, but
that was subject to change.

The Meeting

I arrived at the Old Executive Office Building prior to the meeting to
talk with some staff from OSTP.   These are the people who have been
working on the Critical Infrastructure issues for some time, along with
some in the National Security Council.   They really "get it" about the
complexity of the problem, and about academia's role and needs, and this
may be one reason why this was the first Presidential-level meeting on
information security that included academic faculty.

After a few minutes, I was ushered into Dr. Neal Lane's office where we
spent about 15 minutes talking.   (As a scientist and polymath, I think
Lane has one of the more fascinating jobs in the Executive Branch: that of
Assistant to the President for Science and Technology  and  Director of
OSTP .   For instance, on his table he had some great photos of the Eros
asteroid that had been taken the day before.)   We then decided to walk
over to the White House (next door) where we joined the other attendees
who were waiting in a lobby area.

Eventually, we were all escorted upstairs to the Cabinet Room.  It was a
tight fit, as there were over 30 of us, staff and guests (invitee list at
the end).   We then spent a half hour mingling and chatting.  There were a
lot of people I didn't know, but that's because normally I don't get to
talk to CEOs.  Most notably, there were people present from several CERIAS
sponsor organizations (AT&T, Veridian/Trident, Microsoft, Sun, HP, Intel,
Cisco).  I also (finally!) got to meet Prof. David Farber in
person.  We've "known" each other electronically for a long time, but this
was our first in-person meeting.

After a while, some more of the government folk joined the group: Attorney
General Reno; Commerce Secretary Daley; Richard Clarke, the National
Coordinator for Security, Infrastructure Protection and Counter-terrorism;
and others.   After some more mingling, I deduced the President was about
to arrive -- several Secret Service agents walked through the room giving
everyone a once-over.   Then, without any announcement or fanfare, the
President came into the room along with John Podesta, his chief of staff.

President Clinton worked his way around the room, shaking everyone's hand
and saying "hello."  He has a firm handshake.  In person, he looks thinner
than I expected, and is not quite as tall as I expected, either.

We all then sat down at assigned places.   I had the chair directly
opposite the President.  Normally, it is the chair of the Secretary of
State.   To my left was Whit Diffie of Sun, and to my right was John
Podesta.   I was actually surprised that I had a seat at the table instead
of in the "overflow" seats around the room.

The press was then let into the room.  It was quite a mass.   The
President made a statement, as did Peter Solvik of Cisco.  The press then
asked several questions (including one about oil prices that had nothing
to do with the meeting).   Then, they were ushered out and the meeting began.

The President asked a few individuals (Podesta, Daley, Reno, Pethia,
Noonan) to make statements on behalf of a particular segment of industry
of government, and then opened it up for discussion.   The next hour went
by pretty quickly.  Throughout, the President listened carefully, and
seemed really involved in the discussion.  He asked several follow-up
questions to things, and steered the discussion back on course a few
times.  He followed the issues quite well, and asked some good follow-up
questions.

During the discussion, I made two short comments.  The first was about how
it was important that business and government get past using cost as the
primary deciding factor in acquiring computer systems, because quality and
safety were important.  I went on to say  that it was important to start
holding managers and owners accountable when their systems failed because
of well-known problems.   I observed that if the government could set a
good example in these regards, others might well follow.

My second comment was on the fact that everyone was talking about
"business and government" at the meeting but that there were other
players, and that academia in particular could play an important part in
this whole situation in cooperation with everyone else.    After all,
academia is where much of the research gets done, and where the next
generation of leaders, researchers, and businesspeople are coming from!

Overall, the bulk of the comments and interchange were reasoned and
polite.  I only remember two people making extreme comments (to which the
rest of us gave polite silence or objections); I won't identify the people
here, but neither were CERIAS sponsors :-).   One person claimed that we
were in a crisis and more restrictions should be placed on publishing
vulnerability information, and the other was about how the government
should fund "hackers" to do more offensive experimentation to help protect
systems.    My summary of the major comments and conclusions is included
below.

After considerable discussion, the meeting concluded with Dick Clarke
reminding everyone that the President had submitted a budget to Congress
with a number of new and continuing initiatives in information security
and cybercrime investigation, and it would be up to Congress to provide
the follow-through on these items.

We then broke up the meeting, and the President spent a little more time
shaking hands and talking with people present.   Buddy (his dog) somehow
got into the room and "met" several of us, too  -- I got head-butt in the
side of my leg as he went by. :-)  The official photographer got a picture
of the President shaking my hand again.

The President commented to Vint Cerf how amazed he was that the group had
been so well-behaved --- we listened to each other, no one made long
rambling speeches, and there was very little posturing going
on.  Apparently, similar groups from other areas are quite noisy and
contentious.

We (the invitees) then went outside where there was a large crowd of the
press.   Several of us made short statements, and then broke up into
groups for separate interviews.    After that was done, I left and
returned home to teach class on Wednesday.

My interview with the local news station didn't make it on the 6pm news,
and all the print accounts seemed make a big deal of the fact that "Mudge"
was at the meeting.   Oh well, I thought "Spaf" was a way-cool "handle",
better than "Mudge" but it doesn't go over as well with the press for some
reason.  I'll have to find some other way to develop a following of
groupies. :-)

On Friday, I was back in DC at the White House conference center to
participate in a working session with the PCAST (President's Committee of
Advisors on Science & Technology) to discuss the structure and
organization of the President's proposed Institute for Information
Infrastructure  Protection.   This will have a projected budget of $50
million per year.   CERIAS is already doing a significant part of what the
IIIP is supposed to address (but at a smaller scale).  Thus, we may have a
role to play in that organization, as will (I hope) many of the other
established infosec centers.  The outcome of that meeting was that the
participants are going to draft some "strawman" documents on the proposed
IIIP organization for consideration.   I am unsure whether this is
significant progress or not.

Outcomes

I didn't enter the meeting with any particular expectations. However, I
was pleasantly surprised at the sense of cooperation that permeated the
meeting.    I don't think we solved any problems, or even set an agenda of
exactly what to do.   There was a clear sense of resistance from the
industry participants to any major changes in regulations or Internet
structure.  In fact, most of the companies represented did not send CEOs
so that (allegedly) there would be no one there who could make a solid
commitment for their firms should the President press for some action.

Nonetheless, there were issues discussed, some subsets of those present
did agree to meet and pursue particular courses of action, and we were
reminded about the President's info protection plan.  To be fair, this is
an area that has been getting attention from the Executive Branch for
several years, so this whole event shouldn't be seen as a sudden reaction
to specific events.   Rather, from the PCCIP on, there has been concern
and awareness of the importance of these issues.   This was simply good
timing for the President to again demonstrate his concern, and remind
people of the national plan that was recently released.

I came away from the meeting with the feeling that a small, positive step
had been made.   Most importantly, the President had made it clear that
information security is an area of national importance and that it is
taken seriously by him and his administration.   By having Dave Farber and
myself there, he had also made a statement to the industry people present
that his administration takes the academic community seriously in this
area.  (Whether many of the industry people got that message -- or care --
remains to be seen.)

I recall that there were about 7 major points made that no one disputed:
  1)  The Internet is international in scope, and most of the companies
present have international operations.   Thus, we must continue to think
globally.   US laws and policies won't be enough to address all our problems.
  2) Privacy is a big concern for individuals and companies
alike.  Security concerns should not result in new rules or mechanisms
that result in significant losses of privacy.
  3) Good administration and security hygiene are critical.   The
problems of the previous week were caused by many sites (including,
allegedly, some government sites) being compromised because they were not
maintained and monitored.    This, more than any perceived weakness in
the Internet, led to the denial of service.
  4) There is a great deal of research that yet needs to be done.
  5) There are not enough trained personnel to deal with all our security
needs.
  6) Government needs to set a good example for everyone else, by using
good security, employing standard security tools, installing patches, and
otherwise practicing good infosec.
  7) Rather than new structure or regulation, broadly-based cooperation
and information sharing is the near-term approach best suited to solving
these kinds of problems.

Let's see what happens next.  I hope there is good follow-though by some
of the parties in attendance, both within and outside government.

Miscellany

Rich Pethia of CERT, Alan Paller of SANS, and I have drafted a short list
of near-term actions that sites can implement to help prevent a recurrence
of the DDOS problems.  Alan is going to coordinate input from a number of
industry people, and then we will publicize this widely.   It isn't an
agenda for research or long-term change, but we believe it can provide a
concrete set of initial steps.   This may serve as a good model for future
such collaborative activities.

I was asked by several people if I was nervous.   Actually, no.    I've
been on national television many times, and I've spoken before crowds of
nearly a thousand people.   Actually, *he* should have been nervous -- I
have tenure, and he clearly does not. :-)

The model we have at CERIAS with the partnership of industry and academia
is exactly what is needed right now.  Our challenge is to find some ways
to solve our faculty needs and space shortage.  In every other way, we're
ideally positioned to continue to make a big difference in the coming years.

Of the 29 invited guests, there was only one woman and one member of a
traditional minority.    I wonder how many of the people in the room
didn't even notice?

Attendees

Douglas F. Busch
Vice President of Information Technology, Intel

Clarence Chandran
President, Service Provider & Carrier Group, Nortel Networks

Vinton Cerf
Senior Vice President, Internet & Architecture & Engineering, MCI Worldcom

Christos Costakos
Chief Executive Officer, E-Trade Group, Inc.

Jim Dempsey
Senior Staff Counsel, Center for Democracy and Technology

Whitfield Diffie
Corporate Information Officer, Sun Microsystems

Nick Donofrio
Senior Vice President and Group Executive, Technology & Manufacturing, IBM

Dave Farber
University of  Pennsylvania

Elliot Gerson
Chief Executive Officer, Lifescape.com

Adam Grosser
President, Subscriber Networks, >President, Subscriber Networks, Excite@home

Stephen Kent
BBN Technologies (GTE)

David Langstaff
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Veridan

Michael McConnell
Booz-Allen

Mary Jane McKeever
Senior Vice President, World Markets, AT&T

Roberto Medrano
Senior Vice President, Hewlett Packard

Harris N. Miller
President, Information Technology Association of  America (ITAA)

Terry Milholland
Chief Information Officer, EDS

Tom Noonan
Internet Security Systems (ISS)

Ray Oglethorpe
President, AOL Technologies, America Online

Allan Paller
Chairman, SANS Institute

Rich Pethia
CERT/CC, SEI at Carnegie-Mellon University

Geoff Ralston
Vice President for Engineering, Yahoo!

Howard Schmidt
Chief Information Security Officer, Microsoft

Peter Solvik
Chief Information Officer, Cisco Systems

Gene Spafford
CERIAS at Purdue University

David Starr
Chief Information Officer, 3Com

Charles Wang
Chief Executive Officer, Computer Associates International

Maynard Webb
President, Ebay

Peiter Zatko a.k.a. "Mudge"
@stake