Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Clintons security meeting

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 05:27:25 -0500

I was there with my UPenn hat on. It was a very open meeting with some
relatively frank discussions. I will try to report more fully latter today but:

1. there were but two academics incl myself about 30 people total

2.the network was, at least this time, not a problem. It was insecure
computer systems and software. The use of commodity systems for critical
tasks was one of the root causes as was lack of security hygiene (safe
computing)

3. the industrial players committed to establish a sharing of attack
information

4. the President in response to a private question re crypto said to me
that he and Al had fought and would continue to fight the government
establishment (I assume FBI and Intelligence)  to open it up.

It was a very enlightening and useful meeting for me and for I hope others.

More latter

Dave

ps the President is a fast thinker