Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: NYSTA Speed Warning

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 18:21:31 -0500

From: "Matt Murray" <mattm () optonline net>

All:

I received this warning in the mail today. The GPS speed enforcement
(like in the UK) is probably just around the corner. An FYI is that
this particular toll has a speed limit of 20 mph. E-Z Pass is the
system that has a transponder mounted in cars for automated toll
collection (and speed enforcement, too!).

It stated the following:

Addressed to me (details unnecessary)

"In applying for an E-ZPass account, you agreed to abide by the
E-ZPass License Agreement Terms and Conditions. Among those provisions
of the Agreement was that you must approach and pass through an
"E-ZPass Only" lane at the posted speed limit and that failure to do
so could result in the revocation of your E-ZPass Privileges.

The Thruway Authority detected E-ZPass tag XXXXXXXXXXX (one of my
tags) assigned to your account. passing through the E-ZPass toll lane
referenced below in excess of the posted speed of 5 miles per hour.

Tag ID / plaza / Lane / Date / Time / Speed
xxxxxx      98        02N    11/08/99   12:48:07    33

Please be advised that the next violation of the posted speed limit by
any tag assigned to your account will result in the suspension of your
E-ZPass account for 60 days. Additional violations could result in a
longer suspension or revocation of your E-ZPass account. The safety of
our toll collectors and the traveling public is critical to the
Authority and to the success of the E-ZPass program.

If you have any questions, please call 1-800-333-TOLL to speak with a
Customer Service Representative.

Violation Processing Center
E-ZPass Customer Service Center"

I suspect this concept will travel to the other states with these
systems.
Welcome Big Brother!

To add insult to injury, I asked for any other info since the incident
was four months ago. and they said they couldn't look up any
information, because their computers had been down since 10 AM (this
was at 5:30 PM). They offered to call me back when the system was up
and running. I hope it wasn't the same computer tracking me. And
please no lectures about speeding (I'm sure the system doesn't allow
for the different tire size introduced by snow tires).

BTW, NYSTA = New York State Thruway Authority.

Matt Murray

mattm () optonline net