Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Recent Internet Attacks and Critical Infrastructure Protection

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 17:24:57 -0500

Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 17:07:55 -0500
To: update () cdt org
From: Jim Dempsey <jdempsey () cdt org>

Mike O'Neil and I have recently updated our memo on the Administration's
critical infrastructure protection (CIP) initiative, to take account of
the issuance of the National Plan for Information Systems Protection by
the White House on January 7.
http://www.cdt.org/policy/terrorism/oneildempseymemo.html

Our memo concludes that the CIP plan relies too heavily on a monitoring
system that threatens privacy and other civil liberties and gives too
little priority to closing the known vulnerabilities and fundamental
security flaws in computer systems.  (Target date for establishment of the
FIDNet monitoring system: October 2000.  Target date for fixing "the most
significant known vulnerabilities" in critical government computers: May
2003.)  And the plan fails to answer many questions, especially about the
role and responsibilities of the private sector, which owns and operates
most of the computer-dependent critical infrastructures

The Recent Attacks

CDT is concerned that the recent attacks will serve as justification for
legislation or other government mandates that will be harmful to civil
liberties and the positive aspects of the openness and relative anonymity
of the Internet. Already, we have seen suggestions from the Justice
Department that legislation may be needed.  Such a course is especially
unjustified when there is so much to be done to improve Internet security
that would have no negative implications for privacy.

While denial of service is appropriately a crime, the recent attacks
highlight  a problem not soluble by criminal investigation and
prosecution: basic system security has been ignored far too long.

In terms of developing policy responses, it is important to recognize that
the recent distributed denial of service (DDOS) attack methods were
well-known and widely reported before they were launched.  Like most
attacks, they exploited well-known system vulnerabilities.  And, as with
most attacks, there were diagnostic tools that would have allowed systems
administrators to determine if their computers had been hijacked for DDOS
purposes.

The CERT at Carnegie Mellon issued a DDOS incident note on November 18,
1999, and an update on December 28, 1999 (see
http://www.cert.org/incident_notes/IN-99-07.html). Apparently following
CERT's lead, the FBI's NIPC issued alerts about these tools on December 6,
1999 and on December 30, 1999
http://www.fbi.gov/pressrm/pressrel/pressrel99/prtrinoo.htm;
http://www.fbi.gov/nipc/trinoo.htm

The timing of these announcements again raises the question of what should
be the proper role of the FBI, if any, in vulnerability assessment and
information sharing, given the already functioning, non-law enforcement
CERTs such as the Carnegie Mellon one.

A quick search indicates that as early as July 22, 1999 CERT warned of
denial of service attacks of the type seen earlier this week:
http://www.cert.org/incident_notes/IN-99-04.html

CERT's November 18, 1999, was more detailed.  As updated on December 28,
the warning noted: "We have received reports of intruders installing
distributed denial of service tools. Tools we have encountered utilize
distributed technology to create large networks of hosts capable of
launching large coordinated packet flooding denial of service attacks.

"We have seen distributed tools installed on hosts that have been
compromised due to exploitation of known vulnerabilities. In particular,
we have seen vulnerabilities in various RPC services exploited."  The
warning specifically named the trinoo and Tribe Flood Network tools,
noting, "These tools appear to be undergoing active development, testing,
and deployment on the Internet," and went on to discuss solutions.

By the time of the FBI's second alert, the DDOS tools had also been
reported by the media.  The San Diego Tribune had the story on November
20. USA Today had it on December 7.

I haven't attempted to identify all the warnings and reports.  From a
policy perspective, the point is that these attacks used well-known
vulnerabilities and well-known methods of attack.  Invasive government
measures are no substitute for the community effort needed to build better
security.

Jim Dempsey

Center for Democracy and Technology
1634 I Street, NW Suite 1100
Washington DC, 20006
voice: 202.637.9800      fax: 202.637.0968
jdempsey () cdt org

Use Operation Opt-Out http://opt-out.cdt.org/
A single place to remove your name
from profiling, marketing, and research databases.